• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube phono pre-amp needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did a search, but didn't (as usual) come up with anything specific.

Now that I am loving my EL34 amp, I find myself in need of a phono pre-amp. Thinking of going tube, or am I wasting my time?
Is a $250 budget realistic? And, unless it's in a kit I can buy, I want a finished product. I'd like to listen to my records THIS year. :rolleyes:
Finding everything from scratch is out. (My second amp is another story :D)

I am trying to purposely avoid taking my denon SS preamp out of the closet. I am very pleased with the sound of my amp as it is, and don't want to add another stage of processing.

Most of you guys have been there already, so I feel it's best to just ask for advice.

Any thoughts please?

Marc

I have a Thorens TD-160 TT with a Shure M97x needle.
Good enough for me, and better than some of my records....

I HAVE to be mindful of what I spend, and right now sourcing parts for a pre-amp will take too long. Although I may do so LATER. (probably much later with my schedule....)

Thus a kit that I can assemble, or a pre-built will have to do for now.
I'd actually prefer a kit, though.

I'm hoping to keep it around $250 if possible, but may stretch it. The matching Ming-Da right now is $450, a bit steep considering I bought the power amp for that. Shipped. I have always used integrated amps, so I don't know if I'm really off base money wise here.
Granted, I see high end go for thousands, but that's TOTALLY out of my leauge.

As always, I really apreciate everyone that steps in to help and advise.
I'm much better versed in IC's and video than vintage audio. Still trying to figure out why I got started in this again.... must be a 40's thing....

If the Ming-Da is a power amp I recommend a preamp with integrated phono stage. A separate phono stage should only be used with an integrated amp.

The idea of a line stages/preamp without phono stage makes no sense. If you spin vinyl, you need one with a phono stage. If you don't spin vinyl, you don't need one. It's just a wast of money. Which, of course, makes lots of sense if you are dealer. Too many P.T. Barnums in the world.

The Ming-Da is an integrated amp. It has 2 line level inputs and a volume knob.

Looked at the bottlehead..... have to think about that. I seriously do not like the looks of it. I'd have to get a totally different enclosure, at least. Already at $350 or so with a nicer box....

Marc

My 2 cents worth...

Throw away the Shure.
They're all boom and sizzle, imho.

Try a good AT model in the moving magnet category, way better.

Then any phono stage will do for now.
Any.

Find an old tube receiver at a flea market or yard sale?
Buy an old Dynaco PAS preamp?

Or build up one of the many split passive designs that exist on the web.

There are PCBs online and on ebay that claim to have copied things like Marantz and McIntosh tube circuits - just build up the phono stage part??

The options are endless...

_-_-bear

I'm in the same boat as you are. I have several turntables that are not fancy. One has a Stanton and the other an Audio Technica MM cart. I have been looking at several tube phono stages as well as a missed SS group buy PC board. I'm not against running a SS phono stage into my Aikido line stage for the desired result.

I will say this....stay away from the ebay PC phono stages from across the ocean as they are noisy and not worth the time. I personally would not recommend a dinosour like a Dynaco from the past.

Hagermans Cornet has caught my eye and I am waiting for someone from diy to purchase one and review it before I jump in head first.

May the tube "Gods" forgive me but I am thinking it might almost be easier to go the SS route then to keep banging my head against the wall looking at countless designs weighing the good and bad points.

Well Sir, I have no excuse.

To be honest I don't know if I can make a phono stage that I could be proud of. I like octal tubes but some say they have a higher noise level. I am frightened of the gain needed in the stage because of noise that could come with it. I am very open to suggestions but would prefer a diy circuit as opposed to a kit.:eek:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
burnedfingers said:
To be honest I don't know if I can make a phono stage that I could be proud of. I like octal tubes but some say they have a higher noise level.

You won't know until you try. You need low noise at the input stage, but provided that's done right, there's nothing to stop you using octals for the rest of the circuit. The loctal 3A/167M would make a superb input valve if only you could find some. Triode-strapped EF184 would be quiet (and dirt cheap). Follow it up with 12SN7 or 14N7 (far cheaper than their 6.3V equivalents).

Good luck with the 3A/167M. It's rare and people know it's a Western Electric 437A with a loctal socket. Try wrestle that one away from the Japanese. :D

Why not EC8010 and 12B4? No gain is needed after the EC8010. Both transformer-coupled. You could replace the EC8010 with D3a.

Okayyy..... so I bought a cheap SS phono preamp JUST so I can use my TT in the meantime.

Decided to build one after all. Figure it's a good start.

I have a nice stash of mullard 12ax7's, 12at7's and 12au7's.
All tested good. Found sockets, chassis, etc. Only need Iron and a diagram.

Now if some kind soul could lead me to a proper transformer and a schematic, I think I can handle it from there.
Where the heck DO you guys get your NEW iron? Don't have time to look for used right now.

Thanks.

P.S. I actually have a few bags full of different tubes, so if someone has a better suggestion, I can check if I already have it.

Marc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.