• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6X4 Tube rectifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I use the 6X4 as a rectifier in a hybrid bridge (with two BY 127 Si-diodes) in the power supply of my preamp, who takes about 50 mA at 300V. Rectifier input voltage is 450 V AC. From the tube's cathode, there goes a NTC resistor (ca. 300 Ohm cold, a few ohms hot, to reduce startup current) to a 50 uf electrolytic, a 5 H choke, another 50 uf cap, and then into the first regulator tube, a PL 84. Voltage reference is a TAA 550 temperature-compensated precision zener voltage source (33 V).

I built this amp in the late 80's, and at the moment where I am writing this posting, it has run 22,869 hours.... (I have a counter in the PSU....;) ), always with the same tubes.... This also applies to the PL 84 / PL 95 / PCF 802 in the 2-stage regulated power supply....

So far I don't see any signs of weakening of the tube(s)....

Don't know how much you'd charge the tube, but with the above data you easily could expect about 8 years of 8 h daily service.... (23,000 : 8 : 365)

Uli

Re: How much current

SINGLEENDED said:
The pre amp. consume 250vdc @ 100ma.:angel:

indeed, like Eli said, this even exceeds the ratings of the next bigger tube in this row, the EZ 80. (rated for 90 mA max.). And I prefer running the tubes not at their limits, especially not rectifier tubes. Forward drop increases quite much when running them close to their limits. So indeed take a EZ 81, or, if you can provide for a separate 5 V heater supply, the GZ 34 (5 V, 1.9 A heater (connected to cathode), EZ 81 is 6.3 V, 1 A, heater isolated from cathode) and has at 100mA only a few volts forward drop. EZ 81 has 15 V there, GZ 34 only 8 V.

Uli

Re: Re: How much current

ulibub said:

indeed, like Eli said, this even exceeds the ratings of the next bigger tube in this row, the EZ 80. (rated for 90 mA max.). And I prefer running the tubes not at their limits, especially not rectifier tubes. Forward drop increases quite much when running them close to their limits. So indeed take a EZ 81, or, if you can provide for a separate 5 V heater supply, the GZ 34 (5 V, 1.9 A heater (connected to cathode), EZ 81 is 6.3 V, 1 A, heater isolated from cathode) and has at 100mA only a few volts forward drop. EZ 81 has 15 V there, GZ 34 only 8 V.

Uli

I have a couple of EZ81 brand ultron ,3pcs of GZ 34 rca , 6X4 tungsol , 6X4 raytheon , 6X4 ge, and trying to get my hands on Haltron if you can help.
Why 6X4 ge and at their peak limits. 1, it is very quiet . 2, it is not pushy compare to others, 3, open soundstage. .

Btw the preamp is feed from oil bath trans supply.

Brands.

Brand does not make the sound.
Different manufacturer make their tube differently.
I like GE & Haltron they sound open and warm.
JJ is not so good I have a few pieces.small sig.
Yes it is feed directly from the high voltage line.
And yes it really make the whole set up sound different. Very quiet i should say.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.