• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Beautiful tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
beautiful tubes.

a plea for Tubes in the shouldered style - Or Rather tubes with a "pretty" envelope :clown:

I have a very short list at the moment:

300B < what? never heard of it... :)

6AS7G < ropey output tube :)bawling: I have 5) Supposed to be a pass element

6J5G <1/2 6SN7 Fantastico!

EL37 <great, but very, very expensive

KT88 < beam tetrode, next output tube after EL34...

Sovtek KT88 <new production, non standard kt88 bottle

6L6G < seems to be highly regarded o/p tube

FW4-500 < big old rectifier tube, 500ma

6C33C / 6S33S < odd BIG bottle...

845 / 805 < as above!

Any more? (preferably without top caps! those ought to be caged, rather defeating the object)

Comments on the actual functional merits of the tubes also welcome! but in this case a secondary consideration. All tubes were useful for something.

Anyone care to add to the list?

Andy

From left to right, the KT88, 805 triode, 833A triode, 450TH triode. I apologize for the special effects. That is the only picture I have at the moment on my HD.

I have a plan to use the big 450TH on the right as a P-P pair to make a monobloc subwoofer amp, I happen to have a suitable output xfmer, a very scarce piece of Hammond iron from a WW-II transmitter. Ought to get me 1 to 1.5 kW output at 20 Hz to a 8 ohm load. Ambitious project that I have no need for. Like climbing a mountain I guess. Do it for the challenge and experience.

Attachments

• tubearts.jpg
    tubearts.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,387
So do I..

Whats the name of the big headed feller in front?

interesting comparison in size between the 845 and the 300b - I havent bought the OPT's yet :devilr: you reckon you could get 4 of those puppies in a normal 19" chassis?

The 845 is my current :bigeyes: tube. P-P linearity is better than anything I've ever seen and inspite of its DHT nature I AM tempted... (you just know reality means KT88's but still, I can dream :) )

Andy

ak_47_boy said:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

GM100, 17V / 18A filament, 1kw plate dissipation :D.

rcavictim, there is a nice GM100 pushpull schematic on the GM70 fourm on yahoo. I was thinking about building two GM100 SET's but that would draw 40amps @ 120V so...no

That tube looks more like a large mercury vapor light bulb for illuminating a giant factory or warehouse than a radio toob. 40 amps at 120 volts ain`t bad if you need the heat. Electric heat is 100% efficient. Unfortunately buying electricity from Ontario Hydro is not very efficient. You`d get more heat for your money if you burnt five dollar bills in a woodstove.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rcavictim said:
I think the 815 begs to be made into a stereo headphone amp. It would be so cute.

For those that do not know this valve, it has two plate caps placed like Mickey Mouse`s ears.

I have 3 of those... i want to make a push-pull amp out of them.. the one comment i have heard about these for audio is that they are quite decent...

dave

Attachments

• rca815s.jpg
    rca815s.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 540
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.