• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Beautiful tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to add a couple of mine:

VT-25 Thoriated Tungsten filaments

Attachments

• dsc01427.jpg
    dsc01427.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 535
I see he likes his vinyl. That appears to be a matter of record! :D Hard to see the Quad amps but I do think I see one there with the electronics. One per quad ES speaker I guess. I see my old Empire TT there too!

So what do you use now as your main amplifier, or amplifiers if monoblocs?

I use primarily the DIY 809 SET (in my avatar) upstairs. Downstairs I enjoy my highly modified MingDa MC3008AB SET space heater (300B`s driving 805 triodes). I have several good P-P amps here that I use on occasion but my SET amps clearly sound better in micro detail.

Attachments

• 805dun.jpg
    805dun.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 409
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rcavictim said:
I see he likes his vinyl. That appears to be a matter of record! :D Hard to see the Quad amps but I do think I see one there with the electronics. One per quad ES speaker I guess. I see my old Empire TT there too!

The Quads are right behind the ESLs (1 per speaker). He has added Decca DK30 ribbons since the picture was taken. Besides the Empire, an Oracle with a well-tempered arm & a TD125.

So what do you use now as your main amplifier, or amplifiers if monoblocs?

Of late mainly monobloks that are a variation on the RH84 (parafeed with EF86 driver) -- an excellent junk box creation (we are into them for ~$120).

dave

planet10 said:

I sold them to a buddy a long time ago ,,, they sound good in his system (he has 4 total)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

Now thats a sight to warm the coldest heart! plenty of source material. nice!

a picture of my fledgeling amp is attached, not for any gratification but because you can just see the glorious 6j5g / CV1932 in the background. Unlike planet10 I never took pictures of the tubes alone - easy to rectify next time I'm home.

You'll see I'm going for tubes in a range of different styles, I have to admit the KT88's are trick photography - I only have 2! They'll be the curvy Sovtek versions ultimately.

Andy

Attachments

• ds.jpg
    ds.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 330
The hat??!! To keep the tube from freezing its ears off ...;)

The tube is to be mounted in a socket with a high collar that has a lid on top. The black "nut" on top of the tube is to help get the tube out of the socket and is screwed off when it sits in the socket. Guess the metal cap helps protect the tube from the cap and to assure that all tubes have the exactly same height. Remember that this is a HF-tube often used in military equipment.

Nordic said:
Just wait till I visit my mom again....

I have an old tube which looks like it has a 3 prong plug in the top, and the base is this beatifull heatsink... it has served more than 30 years as a doorstop.

Pretty sure its dead though, as my grandfather was a boffin (smart guy) with these things.

Sounds like it may be some sort of magnetron (Radar transmitting pulse generator) tube. Magnetrons are frequently seen with their necessary magnets attached. Without the magnet structure there isn`t all that much to see. Indeed some of those make good doorstops.

Another guess would be a large Klystron, another hi-power RF transmitting type tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.