diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   No mains transformer B+ ? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/98084-no-mains-transformer-b.html)

Salas 14th March 2007 11:19 AM

No mains transformer B+ ?

I have a quartet of RCA 6V6G dark glass NOS. Having a 230V AC outlet I wonder if there is something negative into rectifying directly to 300-320VDC and powering some some possible 6V6G amp with it. Transformers help a little with mains grunge also, but apart from that, have you tried it? Is it a good practice not to use a transformer when AC gives compatible voltage to rectify for needed B+ by luck?

phase_accurate 14th March 2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Is it a good practice not to use a transformer when AC gives compatible voltage to rectify for needed B+ by luck?
It is only good practice if you don't mind getting killed by your amp !!! :hot: :dead:

Regards

Charles

Salas 14th March 2007 11:25 AM

Elaborate please.

arnoldc 14th March 2007 11:37 AM

It's all about safety! You would want to isolate your circuit from the mains.

Soon, the safety patrol will gang up on you :D

Original Burnedfingers 14th March 2007 11:41 AM

If I understand you correctly you want to take your main power AC feed and rectify and filter it to DC without the use of a transformer.:hot:

Do you enjoy life? This is very stupid! Never, never, even consider trying something like this!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Salas 14th March 2007 11:44 AM

Can't a 230VAC 1:1 transformer with 0.3A capability kill someone touching a 320V B+ all the same?

phase_accurate 14th March 2007 11:50 AM

From a legal point-of-view there might be quite a difference between being killed or being killed all the same !

If you rectify your mains directly then a wall outlet that is wired the wrong way around is actually all it takes to kill you.

Regards

Charles

Original Burnedfingers 14th March 2007 11:54 AM

Salas

Is you life worth the cost of a transformer? If not then I highly suggest that you sell the tubes and anything else associated with building an amplifier.

Salas 14th March 2007 11:55 AM

OK then, I will not do it, bcs if an outlet is wrong there will by no transformer to fry, but the first one who touches the RCA plug. Got it.

Salas 14th March 2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by phase_accurate
From a legal point-of-view there might be quite a difference between being killed or being killed all the same !

If you rectify your mains directly then a wall outlet that is wired the wrong way around is actually all it takes to kill you.

Regards

Charles

I will get a 230VAC 1:1 toroid, Audio Note 8KPP OPT and make an Audio Tropic musical machine, I am not giving my RCA 6V6Gs to nobody!