• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help with horizontal mounting of 01-A and VR tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys, I've checked the documents for the 01-A and VR150 tubes and can't find if they can be installed horizontally. While I agree to the glow appeal of these tubes, I found a nice chassis I can use but I'll put the tubes inside and they won't fit vertic ally. I can't even see the innards of my 01-A if I can get the filament planes vertical. Then there's the VR...

Anybody got info on this?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, I use small dhts like the 01A, 12, and 26 in my own designs. You need to mount these vertically otherwise over time the filament could possibly sag and make contact with the grid. (You'd think the clearances would be large enough to prevent this, but I've seen at least one 26 that had a filament to grid short.)

All of the antique radios I have seen and the couple I have owned always had dhts in a vertical orientation.

My old data books (Cunningham, RCA, etc.) recommend vertical mounting for all dhts - this also applies incidentally to some early dh rectifiers (and all domestic use mercury types I'm familiar with) as well.

VR tubes don't have this issue and afaik they can be operated in any position as long as ventilation is adequate

Sigh, thanks so much Kevin. Highly appreciated.

It's now back to top plate style chassis for this project then.

But then the Fi...

x-stocktubes.jpg

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.