Help with horizontal mounting of 01-A and VR tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2007, 10:36 AM   #1
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
Default Help with horizontal mounting of 01-A and VR tubes

Guys, I've checked the documents for the 01-A and VR150 tubes and can't find if they can be installed horizontally. While I agree to the glow appeal of these tubes, I found a nice chassis I can use but I'll put the tubes inside and they won't fit vertic ally. I can't even see the innards of my 01-A if I can get the filament planes vertical. Then there's the VR...

Anybody got info on this?
Old 14th March 2007, 05:26 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, I use small dhts like the 01A, 12, and 26 in my own designs. You need to mount these vertically otherwise over time the filament could possibly sag and make contact with the grid. (You'd think the clearances would be large enough to prevent this, but I've seen at least one 26 that had a filament to grid short.)

All of the antique radios I have seen and the couple I have owned always had dhts in a vertical orientation.

My old data books (Cunningham, RCA, etc.) recommend vertical mounting for all dhts - this also applies incidentally to some early dh rectifiers (and all domestic use mercury types I'm familiar with) as well.

VR tubes don't have this issue and afaik they can be operated in any position as long as ventilation is adequate
Old 15th March 2007, 12:32 AM   #3
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
Sigh, thanks so much Kevin. Highly appreciated.

It's now back to top plate style chassis for this project then.

But then the Fi...

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!