• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fixed-Bias Williamson EL34

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Allow me to suggest a "safe" bias circuitry.

G1Bias.gif

Called so, cos if a pot cursor lift off, tubes just become over biased ;)

Yves.

I'm pretty sure it's cap input. The link you posted says:

"H.V. DC current below, measured with cap. input filter, full wave (two diode) C.T., rectifier circuit"

According to a PDF elsewhere on the Hammond website, choke input should give .45 * the secondary VAC, so 450V out of 1000VCT, and 1.54 * the current rating, so 308mA. Encouraging numbers.

Attachments

• hammond choke vs. cap input.pdf
    37.9 KB · Views: 93
Hey Yves, a couple questions if you don't mind :smash:

My bias is -45V, and supply is -70V or so. So I have 17.2K on the top top resistors, 10K below, 100K to the grids, and 1uF for a 15Hz response. I should probably know this, but what range of adjustment will your setup give me?

Here's my not-so-foolproof math: I assumed the upper pot to be halfway across, so I could replace the top 2 resistors and the 10K pot with a single 11.1K resistor (17.2+5)/2, making a simple voltage divider. In that case, the bottom pot should adjust the total output voltage between -33 and -45V right? I would rather be able to adjust to around -10+15V of -45V (keeping signs constant), since that's the central point of my schematic... Is something wrong with my math, or should I try some different resistors to suit my goals?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.