• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

modifications to compact EL84 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.

Hi,

Be careful Frank - you're implying that frequency response of an amplifier is determined by power supply capacitance - which is not true really.

It's not frequency response as it is statically measured but sustained bass tones from a complex musical signal.
AKA perceived dynamic range, AKA headroom.

This is especially true for Class AB amps (most oldies are) and won't do any harm to a Class A amp either.:)

Think dynamic,think music,;)

analog_sa said:
Don't want to sound negative but i've tried liberating EL84 pentode amps from negative feedback and the results have been quite lo-fi. Anyone been luckier?

cheers

peter
Agreed. The EL84, which can be a really sweet tube is best in NFB UL applications like the ST35/SCA35 or even better as a class A PP triode, if you can deal with the 3W it puts out.

Re: elegance

Jaap said:
perhaps this has still some more elegance:
Jaap,
Phase split before the driver and run the driver PP. Works much better to my ears.

There's been a long thread here about a similar circuit in the past (Ralph poweramp). Also check the writings of Lynn Olson at his site ( www.aloha-audio.com ) as well as the archives at audioasylum under his name, and Garry Dahl (gdahl) who was the designer of the Ralph poweramp. There is tons of valuable info there, as they are both very experienced, and measure everything as well as listen to tune the circuits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.