• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EC52--Plate choke--300B/45/2a3/50/EL34 SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this tube---

The EC52 is a small transmitting valve from the early days of all glass construction. It was designed for VHF operation, and probably mobile equipment.

The picture shows the............. Flattened oxide coated cathode and the gold grid wire can also be seen.................. The anode is carbonized. The whole electrode assembly takes up less than half of the envelope, and a second valve could be physically fitted into the envelope.

Oh, flattened oxide cathode is large amount of electron emittion & gold grid will better sonic performance.

thx

thomas

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hi AndreasS,

many thanks for your comment.

U right, B9G was not easy to get But I had several hndard on hand. All NOS silver plated & military by British Army.

There will had another method for this tube. Pls take a look for the EC52>> anode choke>>2a3/300B.

Take a look of the bottom of the this anode choke tube kit, very easy to funish.

thx

thomas

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hi Phn,

Your advised circuit I was tested already. I work very well but high impendance IT will not easy to get a very good one. Second was all the sound texture was regarding for the IT.

Looks if I use Anode choke still need cap couple & I can cahnge different brand of coupling cap to change the sound nature.

many thanks

thomas

take a look of the circuit.

hi AndreasS,

not need to say sorry, why I choose EC52, 6sn7,12aXX series tube drive SE triode we heard tooooo many already. Why not try some good tubes.

In my small test. EC52 was quite silent. looks the microphonics, heater hum not series, But ps don't forget the grid stopped resistors. In my test. I try the dale & VTV tantulum resistors was the best in this area.

C3M,C3g & D3a. I test for both already. D3a had a very good transcondance than C3g & C3m. But I love D3a use in phone circuit will be better, one of m friend try the D3a mix with 6463 in the 'TRL' phone circuit was qute good. 'TRL means Transformers, resitors & inducrotrs. There hadn't any capacitors in it.

Old Audionote Japan M10 phone was use this type of circuit.
May be I was wrong because information was from my friend. he was audionote ( Kondo user ).

C3M & C3g was a good choice. But I love C3m much. But sine C3m was 25V filament , its not too popular nowadays because of the filamnet voltage. looks EC52 will be one of the good choice for the low power driver tube because the magnification factor, really vintage tube, flattened oxide coated cathode and thick gold grid wire can also be seen. Anode is carbonized. looks it contain good sound elements.

Spec of the tube was quite good
Mutual conductance (Va=250V;
Vg1=-2.6V) 6.5mA/V

Anode impedance 9500 ohm
Amplification factor 60

Since this tube had approx 10K plate resitance. I cannot use IT. But use anode choke with coupling caps will provide such space for diyers to adj their taste of sound.

thx

thomas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.