• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

572B vs 845 vs 211 SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The 211, and 845 have 10 volt filaments. I think they lack a little in finesse for a mids/tweeter amplifier as compared to say a 45, 2A3, PX25, 1625 or similar unless you need a lot of power..

Transformers with really good HF extension are more easily and less expensively realized with primaries of 5K or less.

The 572B is an unfamiliar animal so I'll ignore it for now.

IMO None of the tubes on your list would be my first choice for a midrange or tweeter amp.

How much power do you really need?

hi all,

I was newbie of this thread,

let me share some of my comment.

If te budget enough I will suggest to use emission Lab 520-V3 from Jac music. I use , diy & test for vintage & moderen tube already. FInally I choose 520-V3.

Take a look the data of 520-V3.

filament was 5V only.

Lower filament will lower noise, low plate resistance so the OPT will approx 2~2.3K will enough!!

power & test god sound.

1) High Power application
520B Typical Data
Note: Only possible with Autobias.

Plate Voltage 530V
Plate Dissipation 69Watt
Plate Current 130mA
Grid Voltage -124Volt
Plate Impedance (Rp) 470Ohms
Amplification Factor 4.0
Transconductance (Gm) 8,5mA/V
Power Output in Class A 23Watt
Load Impedance (Ra) 1000-2400Ohm
Grid resistor 47kOhm

pls take a look photos I design for my friend's KR KT-1610 SE amp.

thx

thomas

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hi soundbrigade,

its in Euro.

hi Fuling,

Actually I did not suggest U try 813 SE. since 813 was a high voltage, low current beam tetrode. U like connect the tube & use in triode rating??? can U share with me.

Looks GM70 was close to 845. I am not sure.

Will U prepare a 845 SE tube amp.

can we share experience??

thx

thomas

The 211, and 845 have 10 volt filaments
Hmm,I have read that!Must have forgotten..;)

I have 2 SV572-10,just thinking when they are run out,if Ican´t get new ones..:whazzat:
The power i need?Well 5-10w maybee.

If I ask a new question:how does the 572B compare to SV572-10?
I´ve read that less Mu is better bass,maybee better midrange?

Vart kommer jag in i bilden?
:D Would allso like to know that one.;) :)

The 572B is made for RF, usually cathode driven, and operated in a grounded grid configuration.

They will amplify up to 30 Mhz easy, so I have no doubt they will work for audio. They might not be at their best linearity at the low plate voltages you are talking about.

You can always try it and let us know how it works!

hi Ryssen,

actually I hadn't DIY 572B tubes, but I had diy, 845,805,211,KT1610,WE4212 & coming will New Emission Lab 520-V3.

This several month I was busy clone the Ongaku Kondo 211 tube amp.

MY friend was a real Ongaku Kondo user. After I funis the tube amp will compare will the real one to compare the sound.

take a look of my hard work.

thx

thomas

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The 813 in triode is very similar to the gm-70. There are triode curves on Pete Millet's website. IMHO both of them are a bit better than the 845. (FLAMES). Higher Gm and easier to drive.
The best tube for 6.3V might be this one:
http://ramlabs-musicreference.com/emlframe.html
EML 520 BV-2
It comes in both 5V and 6.3V flavors.
Since you may be using DC on the filament anyway why not just use a dropping resistor from the rectified 6.3V for a 5V tube.

hi dshortt9,

I bought oe pair of 520-V3 already. sorry to ask U do U hear the sound of 520-V2. I bought V3 because of its lower filament volatge, any more comment.

this is the basic circuit for me use 845 & 520-V3.

thx

thomas

C3m ( triode )>>> plate output with 1:1 interstage & push 845 or 520-V3. I hope to use cathode follower to push power tubes but looks I can't.

I have a few matched pairs of good old quaity brands 813, but I won´t put them to use for two reasons: filament current and top caps. Mostly the latter as I want to avoid having ~900VDC accessable above the chassis but I also figure that the 20/3A filaments of the GM70 are easier to deal with than 813´s 10V/5A.

This will be a true monster involving:
2 GM70
2 LL1688 OPT
2 LL1671 IT
2 6AV5GA drivers
2 "something" input tubes
4-6 6AU4GTA rectifiers (damper diodes)
1 massive power transformer
1 quite massive filament transformer
Several big PiO caps.

hi dshortt9,

will U advise use my test circuit that use c3M ( triode )with el504 ( triode) with IT push 520-V3. any comment???

I try single stage already. but if the music was more dynamic, the sound stage not good. So why I choose two stage.

My Old design KT-1610 also use two stage ( power tubes ) cathode follower push KT-1610.

U can see the JBL 4344 was sound in approx 400 sq feet area.

Before I use two stage, single stage in this area with same power output the sound field was not too strong( or said the sound stage feel floating).

thx

thomas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.