• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Microphone With A Low Impedance Tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I am building a high output tube mic and would like suggestions about tubes to use. I am leaning towards pentodes mostly but triodes I'l consider also.

I'm looking for tubes that have as low grid leak as possible, are low impedance (hopefully 2k or less in pentode but a little more might be ok), low capacitance, decent amplification (hopefully about 25 or more) and sound great.

I am really looking forward to everyones suggestions. So far I have used 12a-7's, 6au6 and ef86. I know they are fine tubes but what will be even better for low grid leak, low ra and sound.

Thank you! Have a great day,

Jor

kevinkr said:

Or the E810F/7788 triode-connected. However, the trouble with these high-gm hot rods is that grid current will be a problem if the grid is directly connected to a high-Z capacitor mike element. I think this is why EC8010 suggested an electrometer tube with grid current in the picoamp range. "YoungFred" hasn't told us enough about his application to know for sure what he needs.

You haven't said what type of capsule or transducer element you're gona use. There are a bunch of tubes you could use but why re-invent the wheel. The 6688/E180F is a pentode you could use. A 6au6wa/7543 is not sloppy either. The 6DL4/8255 is a triode. The 6J4/8532 is a good triode.

Thank you for all the advice so far!

Hi

I'm going to use an m7 capsule. I've also used vf14's and ef14's in u47's that I have restored or built. Those are large tubes. I was looking for something that is even better because lots of times people use the best tubes they know of and might not know about great tubes that have been made. Does the 6ej7 have low grid leak? I would guess not.

The EC1000 sounds like it might fit the bill. What is the plate resistance?

When I look for at tube specs how does one know if it has low grid leak? I would like this mic to be fairly high gain and use a tube that has low plate resistance, they sound more open to me. All input welcome! Thank you so much! Have a great day! Talk with you soon,

Jor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.