homemade faceplates - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2007, 01:31 PM   #1
PRNDL is offline PRNDL  United States
diyAudio Member

Default homemade faceplates

Does anyone have ideas for making inexpensive homemade faceplates?

I have a tube guitar amp in a small Hammond chassis (about 2"x20") that needs something for the faceplate. It's my personal amp, so it doesn't have to be fancy, but I'd like it to look nice.

I'm thinking that a thin piece of shiny black metal cut to fit might do the trick, but was wondering if anyone has already done this and could give some pointers to what to get at the local shops (Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, etc).

Also, is there an easy way to add graphics?
I was thinking about prining labels on clear tape and coating with clear.

Thanks!
Old 8th March 2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is a good thread on the subject.

Face Plate Printing and Silk Screening

There are other threads covering this also. Lots of great ideas and different ways to get great results.
Trout
Old 8th March 2007, 04:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Plastic nameplate engraving

I use plastic escucheon plates of the type used for office name plates. It's readily avaliable and depending on the engraver, you can do switch patterns and makes a neat appearance. I use this over an aluminum machined panel.
Old 9th March 2007, 01:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

So far I'm using the cheap method myself, a labeller. I bought a Brother label maker from Office Max a few months ago and it seems to do a nice job. I use the black print on clear tape and looks fairly decent on an aluminum chassis front, plus you can make large font labels as well, italic, etc.
My only lack right now is how to make a circular label to put around a pot, say with numbers from 1 to 12.
Can this be done with a laser printer (for waterproofness) and the right software (or even just a hand-made jpg) and printed on those plasticized CD-type labels and cut down to size. I'm just brainstroming here, but I wonder if anyone else has tried such a plan?
Old 10th March 2007, 12:38 PM   #5
PRNDL is offline PRNDL  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out www.tubesandmore.com
They have stickers with letters, labels and dials.
Old 10th March 2007, 12:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: homemade faceplates

Quote:
Originally posted by PRNDL
Does anyone have ideas for making inexpensive homemade faceplates?

There are a number of decal vendors on EBay -- or you can make the design in MSPaint, PowerPoint Photoshop etc. and have someone do a silkscreen on aluminum, or you can have a sign shop do laser-engraving on an anodized panel.

That's not what we use the 2.5 kW CO2 laser for, however.
Old 10th March 2007, 04:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Plastic nameplate engraving

Quote:
Originally posted by grhughes
I use plastic escucheon plates of the type used for office name plates. It's readily avaliable and depending on the engraver, you can do switch patterns and makes a neat appearance. I use this over an aluminum machined panel.
Beat me to it. This is a nice choice, especially appropriate for guitar amps I think. The black plastic plates with white inner layer (which makes white lettering) give a classic look.

Hide this!Advertise here!