• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

homemade faceplates

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have ideas for making inexpensive homemade faceplates?

I have a tube guitar amp in a small Hammond chassis (about 2"x20") that needs something for the faceplate. It's my personal amp, so it doesn't have to be fancy, but I'd like it to look nice.

I'm thinking that a thin piece of shiny black metal cut to fit might do the trick, but was wondering if anyone has already done this and could give some pointers to what to get at the local shops (Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, etc).

Also, is there an easy way to add graphics?
I was thinking about prining labels on clear tape and coating with clear.

Thanks!

So far I'm using the cheap method myself, a labeller. I bought a Brother label maker from Office Max a few months ago and it seems to do a nice job. I use the black print on clear tape and looks fairly decent on an aluminum chassis front, plus you can make large font labels as well, italic, etc.
My only lack right now is how to make a circular label to put around a pot, say with numbers from 1 to 12.
Can this be done with a laser printer (for waterproofness) and the right software (or even just a hand-made jpg) and printed on those plasticized CD-type labels and cut down to size. I'm just brainstroming here, but I wonder if anyone else has tried such a plan?

PRNDL said:
Does anyone have ideas for making inexpensive homemade faceplates?

There are a number of decal vendors on EBay -- or you can make the design in MSPaint, PowerPoint Photoshop etc. and have someone do a silkscreen on aluminum, or you can have a sign shop do laser-engraving on an anodized panel.

That's not what we use the 2.5 kW CO2 laser for, however.

Re: Plastic nameplate engraving

grhughes said:
I use plastic escucheon plates of the type used for office name plates. It's readily avaliable and depending on the engraver, you can do switch patterns and makes a neat appearance. I use this over an aluminum machined panel.

Beat me to it. This is a nice choice, especially appropriate for guitar amps I think. The black plastic plates with white inner layer (which makes white lettering) give a classic look.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.