E130L in Triode mode - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2007, 11:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default E130L in Triode mode

Would like to use E130L in Triode mode with 400-450V on the plate and g2 and -80 to -100V on g1 (should work but I have not tried yet). Should giv at least 25W into a Zpp of 8-10kohm with real good efficience.
Has anybody ever tried a E130L in class B triode connection?
Also other alternatives (like driving both grids or only g2) migth be worth trying as long as the ratings (and I dont mean the published rating for 250V on g2) arent exeded.
Please let me know what you guys think ...
Old 8th March 2007, 11:36 AM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I don't think I've ever seen an E130L! Will it stand 450V on g2?

Edit: (After downloading the data sheet from Frank's site.) No, it won't, the Philips data sheet says 250V.
Old 8th March 2007, 11:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

hi
I think g2 voltage isn really the limiting factor, g2 powerrating offcourse is ;o)
I think the limiting factor is more the max negative voltage on g1
Old 8th March 2007, 11:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I know that for instance 6146 can be run at -100V on g1 and 4ooV on g2 giving a efficience of 55%
Old 8th March 2007, 11:44 AM   #5
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I take your point that g2 power rating is usually the problem, but exceeding g2 voltage rating can result in sparks. However, help is at hand. Have a look at two current threads:

Triode Trick
Adjustable distributed load discussion
Old 8th March 2007, 11:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

philips datasheet isn valid here, we arent talking about class A triode operation
Old 8th March 2007, 11:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

philips datasheet isn valid here, we arent talking about class A triode operation
Old 8th March 2007, 11:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

tnx, will check it out
Old 8th March 2007, 12:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

hmmm...long thread....interesting reading....
but back to the flashover you mentioned...must open such a bottle and take a look how those grids are spaced...if im lucky then g3 is connected in the socket to the kathode and I can eliminate 1 crucial flasover point, but first I gotta get some more of those tubes...
Old 8th March 2007, 12:51 PM   #10
ulibub is offline ulibub  France
diyAudio Member

This most certainly won't work. E130L is constructed for LOW screen voltages, usually 150 V (which is also marked as recommended voltage for safe operation in its datasheet, the absolute limit being 250 V). Everything above will result in sparking one day.... - I've had some bad experience with that, not on this expensive tube, but with EL36.... screen limit there is 250 V, too, and I tried 280 V - and soon one tube was flashing over. Now, with 225 V, they are running safely.

So 400 V or more on the screen will kill these tubes almost instantly!!!

The only way to get some reasonable power in triode mode out of this tube is operation in "enhanced triode mode" - so using the first grid only for biasing with AC level on cathode or ground, and driving the screen grid with the signal. In that way surely you need a bit a more powerful driver stage.

On the other hand, in conventional triode mode, this should give a good low-voltage tube for OTL and Circlotron designs...... It has quite a powerful cathode.

I'm currrently building such an enhanced-triode-amp with this tube. Should give some neat results. If you are interested, I'll keep you informed. But I beg you some patience, I' don't have much time to work on it at the moment....

Hide this!Advertise here!