Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2007, 12:27 AM   #1
Banned

Default Solen Fast Cap vs ASC film/oils in PS

OK,

I have a choice to make. Use Solen 100uf/630V Fast Cap or a pair of ASC 50uf/440VAC caps in my power supply. These will be placed after my second choke. I have a Solen 22uf/630 Fast Cap for the spot between the the two chokes.

Would the ASC film/oils sound a little fuller/romantic vs the Solen in this spot? The Solen is a little more expensive than a pair of ASC caps, but takes up 1/2 the space. The Unilytic caps are also a possibility here too.
Old 8th March 2007, 01:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

My experience is that ASCs sound marginally better. However, bypassing either one by a small high quality cap would be the best option (short of a large high quality cap, of course.)
Old 2nd September 2008, 09:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

hello

hmm
Old 3rd September 2008, 02:10 AM   #4
tomat is offline tomat  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Solen Fast Cap vs ASC film/oils in PS

Quote:
Originally posted by Curly Woods
OK,

I have a choice to make. Use Solen 100uf/630V Fast Cap or a pair of ASC 50uf/440VAC caps in my power supply. These will be placed after my second choke. I have a Solen 22uf/630 Fast Cap for the spot between the the two chokes.

Would the ASC film/oils sound a little fuller/romantic vs the Solen in this spot? The Solen is a little more expensive than a pair of ASC caps, but takes up 1/2 the space. The Unilytic caps are also a possibility here too.

Hi

using ASC oil caps make sound become fuller but slightly dark & a bit roll off at top end frequency ,with solen ,the sound become more bright ,more open midrange ,tight bass ,better transient response ,but make sound become fatique.
i recommend ,if you could get ,the cornell dubilier nitrogol or aerovox caps ,they are best in power supply application ,perhaps they can only beat with black gate WKZ caps

thanks
K.rotch
Old 3rd September 2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Cappy is offline Cappy  United States
diyAudio Member

Mixing film and film/oil caps for the last cap gave me the sound I was looking for, so you might try that.

I agree with Tomat's assessment on the sound of film vs. oil. I also agree that some Paper-in-oils can strike a good balance, but a 100 uF paper-in-oil would likely be impractically large and expensive, if one could even find one.

I am liking a small paper-in-oil before the first choke and a larger one after the first choke.

Hide this!Advertise here!