Yaqin MC-5881A amplifier improvements - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2009, 09:06 AM   #121
zbodeoc is offline zbodeoc  Romania
diyAudio Member

I forgot to mention another two changes:

8. I have shielded the output transformers with copper foil
9. I have changed the way filament are connected using a star topology because I've noticed an important loss of voltage on the provided yellow wires. Now all filaments are around 6.3V AC.
10. Here are some pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _under1.jpg (74.7 KB, 493 views)
Old 5th May 2009, 09:56 AM   #122
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

What does the copper foil do?
Old 5th May 2009, 02:12 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Default MC-5881A

Copper protects against EMI in a crowded place like a 8 stories block.

I have another 3 pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _top.jpg (64.0 KB, 436 views)
Old 5th May 2009, 02:12 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Default MC-5881A tuning

2 left:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _under.jpg (81.1 KB, 435 views)
Old 5th May 2009, 02:12 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Default MC-5881A tuning

and final:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _plus.jpg (64.1 KB, 427 views)
Old 16th May 2009, 09:52 PM   #126
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

CityPooh,

At the hifi meeting in Slovenia I see there is a small Chinese amp with 4 x 6P1 output valves. I have one similar. How did it sound? I had to do similar mods to mine as some have done to the Yacqin, that is, a series resistor for the heaters and series resistor in the B+ to get the voltage down. Thanks,

Ian.
Old 20th May 2009, 04:25 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

zbodeoc, you did a massive work on it..Congrats..

K42Y capacitors i tried on speakers, bit i assume that they need a lot of hours to burn in(as Mundorfs Silver Oil), they sound very conscrticted at first, so i decided to put in Jantzens Superior, because their amazing depth and airyness is very similar to Mundorf SO.
JS s do not need no long burning in(that is really amazing feature) .

They came here in SLO relatively cheap, because the Slovenian importer of Yaqin and Jantzen(here is named Tonewin) cutted the prices for Jantzen for 30%.
I get the idea from Tommy Gee s and Jon L s articles on high end capacitors and putting cheap Vishay MKP1837 on tweeters also makes miracles on highs.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/or...thread-284863/

Now he is putting in all Tonewin tube amps he imports, Jantzens Superiors and even Jantzen Silvers on demand(way too expensive for this kind of amp), as an special upgrade, and our Dynaco importer is copying him, so he is putting expensive Intertechnik Audyn Cap Plus MKPs in Dynacos and both of them are advertising that as "big imrovement"..

It is reasonably better sounding, but big?

Try Vostok 6N1P EV bulk for 1EU each, paired with an pair of originals.
Old 20th May 2009, 05:17 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Ian444

On my Tube DAC that amplifier sounded as others tube amps importer bringed there-kind of dull, only the 5881 sounded terrific.

But my DAC uses two ECC88-6922, 6N1P-EV, the same tubes as they are in 5881, and that is the reason, it is very, very compatible with 5881.

After that show, my friends tested other amps from that show in the various very different setups and with Tempoelectric DIY interconnects and speaker cables( we "infested" our forum members with them), they all played very well(considering the price of the amps), if the components of the setup were compatible to them.

I think the best improvement( and not costly) for tube amp is Tempoelectric DIY wiring..

I borrowed Tempolectric interconnects with cheap Neutrik RCAs(finished with RCAs, they cost only 20 EU) to a friend of a friend, for which i didnt knew, that he has an expensive Densen setup...

He tested them without my knowledge in comparision with, you wouldnt believe, Nordost Blue heaven and Red dawn, he took from the shop for a try...

He liked Tempoelectrics s on Neutriks more than Nordosts..

I ran some tests on my setup comparing Eichmann Silver Bullets with those ordinary Neutrik RCAs(not PRO), both on TE wires(i tried also some other RCAs on TE wires, but without sucess).

Eichmanns s have slightly more control in bass area and bit more microdetails and depth , but Neutriks are more musical.
They both have excellent stereo and positioning..
Old 21st May 2009, 07:40 AM   #129
ccschua is offline ccschua  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CityPooh
zbodeoc, you did a massive work on it..Congrats..

K42Y capacitors i tried on speakers, bit i assume that they need a lot of hours to burn in(as Mundorfs Silver Oil), they sound very conscrticted at first, so i decided to put in Jantzens Superior, because their amazing depth and airyness is very similar to Mundorf SO.
JS s do not need no long burning in(that is really amazing feature) .

Hi,

How was your Mundorf supreme sound ?

For the feedback cap, is it better to use silver mica ?

frurther thots on improvement : -
1. change to volume to dale ladder type.

2. change grid resistor and the feedback resistor to Riken, AudioNote Tantalums or etc.

3. Change the preamp stage coupling cap (connecting to the drives grid) to VCAP TFTF.

4. change the nichicon cap to Blackgate.

Old 21st May 2009, 04:10 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Silver oils sounds superbly after a good month of burn in..
Then i also tried Jantzen superiors in 5881.

There is only difference between these two in their sound character, considering depth and microdetails and resolution, they are both leveled.

In crossovers of my speakers i also tested Mundorf Supremes(less depth than SO and JS, bit more roughly sounded) and Jantzen Superiors with Jantzen wax foil coils and Mills and Mundorf Supreme resistors and i put Superiors also in tube DAC.

Then i compared DAC with the similar DAC of my friend eqipped with Mundorfs SO.
All wired with Tempoelectric cables on the signal path and i xovers..
Jantzens are extremly good in revealing depth of the body of instruments, also nicely musical, but SOs are outmost musical.

Mills resistors were big surprise..I liked them more than Mundorf Supreme resistors.

I also borrowed Mundorf foil coils and i dont hear any difference between Jantzen wax coil and Mundorf foil.

I didnt have any time left, to further improve my 5881 and i m very thankfull for all tweaks you guys made and share here..
I had to try some of them after i finish a tweak with very nice unexpensive magnetostat Monacor supertweeters..
I tried them last week and they nicely highlighted highs of 5881, so i ordered a pair of Jantzens 1,5 uF for them.

http://www.bmm-electronics.com/Produ...roduct_ID=7251

Regards, Jaro

Hide this!Advertise here!