• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Williamson 6L6 Monoblocks (Finally)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I finally got all 99% of all the parts to put together a pair of 6L6 monoblocks, probably with a Williamson topology. Here's a tentative layout:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Another option:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The tubes are 4 Sov 6L6WXT+'s, 4 Sov 6SN7GT's, and 2 NOS 5U4GB's (forget which type..)

The big cylinders are 80uF 370VAC motor run capacitors for the first L filter with the 193J. The wide, flat caps are 40uF 330VAC motor run caps for the second
L filter, in conjunction with a 156G (9H 40mA, left out of picture). Finally, the white plastic cylinders are 22.5uF 280VAC film capacitors for the input and splitter stages.

One of my concerns is that the 80uF caps are only rated to 70C (the 40uF is 90C and the 22.5's are 100C) so I'm a bit leery of putting tubes so close to it. Is that far enough?

I'll probably have to have a 3" tall chassis (boo) to fit the 40uF and 22.5uF caps and the small choke. I have most of the nitty gritty coupling caps and resistors and whatnot, and am just waiting on picking up a pair of aluminum 17x10x3" chassis. I'd love to be able to sub in KT88's or something given that each chassis gets its own 282X, and the 6.6K 60W OPT would probably work decently.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I'm not sure which magnetic lump is which. I'm guessing that the biggest is the mains transformer. I'd move them all a little further apart, half an inch, or twelve millimetres. I'd also make sure their coils are all at 90 degrees to one another.

Don't worry about the temperature rating of the capacitors. Keep the valves towards the edge of the chassis (where they can cool easily) and away from the capacitors. Your first layout is better.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi sorenj07,
It also helps to drill a circle of holes around the tubes. That way the chassis can ventillate as well and you encourage air flow around the tubes.

Turning the cores 90 ° keeps them from coupling to each other. Distance will help as well.

-Chris

Why don't you follow Marantz, McIntosh?

I would arrange the transformers in a straight line (power transformer, then choke, the output transformer) but with their axes alternated along one edge of the chassis and the tubes arranged in a staight line on the other edge of the chassis. I would locate the input tube as far away from the power transformer as possible. I would locate the rectifier close to the power transformer and right next to the the two audio power tubes. So divide the chassis into three parallel lines, one in the center for the filter caps, the one near the right edge for the tubes and the one near the left edge for the iron. The star ground could be in the geometric center of the chassis near the filter caps. If you use a 3 inch high chassis then I would cut oversize holes for the three high heat tubes and maybe recess them into the chassis or cut numerous holes around them for ventilation. Ray Hughes

anatech said:
Hi sorenj07,
It also helps to drill a circle of holes around the tubes. That way the chassis can ventillate as well and you encourage air flow around the tubes.

Turning the cores 90 ° keeps them from coupling to each other. Distance will help as well.

-Chris
I'm considering finding some metal grills and cutting out a rectangular section from the chassis, mounting the grill, and putting the tube sockets on that. It has been nicely implemented in some amps I've seen and probably allows for more airflow. Heck, I could even put some Vantec Stealth 60mm 12VDC case fans in the 3" tall chassis for real airflow :) And yes, the cores are all 90° relative to each other.

Drewaudio said:
Could you tell me where you got the output transformers from (their their cost)?

Cheers!
Andrew
Hi, the transformers I'm using are Edcor CXPP60-8-6.6K's. They're very reasonably priced at just under $60 each, and have a 60-watt 20Hz-20KHz power capability. I don't expect to need all of it for 6L6 tubes but it's nice to have that much headroom, especially if I experiment with bigger tubes like the 6550/KT88.

EC8010 said:
Don't worry about the temperature rating of the capacitors. Keep the valves towards the edge of the chassis (where they can cool easily) and away from the capacitors. Your first layout is better.

I should probably mention that the capacitors on the right in the second picture aren't meant to be included on top of the chassis, they'll still be tucked away beneath the plate.

The 40 ma choke is only good for the driver/input stage due to the low current rating. If your going to use a choke in the B+ supply it will need to be 500 ma. if your going to try to run 6550 tpye outputs.... And to have enough current for 4 - 6L6s you will also need 2 - 5U4 rectifiers, especially if 6550 tubes are used. Big amps need big current and that's espensive, heavy, & blah, blah....

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A 200mA choke with over 100 Ohm RDC will keep you low in bias current if you don't want to experience perceivable dynamic sags in class AB. Its a nice effect in guitar amps but not in Hi-Fi. But some still like it as a vintage sound effect in Hi-Fi too.

salas said:
A 200mA choke with over 100 Ohm RDC will keep you low in bias current if you don't want to experience perceivable dynamic sags in class AB. Its a nice effect in guitar amps but not in Hi-Fi. But some still like it as a vintage sound effect in Hi-Fi too.
the 193J, according to Angela's website (I think mine measured a tiny bit under this), has a DCR of 82 ohms. I figured that 200mA is enough headroom for most purposes. Don't forget that the choke can pass higher current, just at much reduced inductance.

soundbrigade said:
With a project list containing a 832PP, 2A3SE, 12A6PP, 6AQ5PP and a 6L6PP (I've got the tubes at least), I am interested in knowing how the schematic looks like.;)

I would probably go for a stereo-amp, but from the 2A3-project I notice that stereoamps are tending to be BIG, especially with big transformers.:xeye:

first, i'd definitely recommend monoblocks. channel separation is pretty much as good as it gets, power supplies are easy to derate, etc etc. the williamson topology is pretty classic but here's pretty much what I'm going to use as a schematic, albeit with some minor changes in the 6L6's biasing network. I'm going to use a 5W 420 ohm resistor per tube into a 100 ohm 5 watt pot, the middle leg of which goes through another 100 ohm pot to ground. adjust balance and total current :)

the caps i'm using are a bit different from this schematic, from an Acrosound catalog. .047 and then .47uF for the couplers and the PSU ones are a bit bigger, see above. Morgan Jones has a good discussion about the Williamson topology in his book Valve Amplifiers (edition III) which I recommend that EVERYONE get :D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
sorenj07 said:

the 193J, according to Angela's website (I think mine measured a tiny bit under this), has a DCR of 82 ohms. I figured that 200mA is enough headroom for most purposes. Don't forget that the choke can pass higher current, just at much reduced inductance.

Under 100 Ohm is good. Happy building.

Some schematics I have been considering because of their simplicity and low parts count. Well that are factors that I find important to me - fewer components, less chance of messing something up.

ECF8 + 6L6

6SL7 + 6L6

This looks intriguing with a LM317 as CCS on the cathodes of 12AT7:
12AT7 + 6L6

More complicated and not even close to PP but PSE ... Intriguing but I am not even considering this one, just enclose it for the sake of it:
PSE 6L6

I'm actually really frustrated because I have the chassis sitting in my basement but I haven't yet put everything together. I have a couple of other amps that I'm building for other people that I need to finish but I promise, you'll see these things built before too long!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.