• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Projects...How does one decide ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,
How do you all decide what project to move onto next ??? I mean; besides the obvious "Wow - that's a cool looking tube !", or "Well, I always did want an SET", how do you go about it ? For example, I always liked the 807's from a looks standpoint - but Im not sure about their audio prowess. Ditto for the 829's.

Regards,
Steve

Also confused about too many projects

Hello to everyone,

For those of us (me included, of course) for which it would be too much to say we're more than tinkerers, it doesn't take too much to fell that there are too many projects, and time shares (and other equally precious resources) are too few. Regardless of that, it's impossible not to feel fascinated when we come along a new (at least for us) design idea.

I currently don't have any 829s at hand, but I'm seriously considering building something around 807s. I noticed they are often found triode connected for audio applications where power is not at premium. On the other hand, some say that beam tubes are not the best for such connections, and a true pentode would be preferable. A true triode would be even better, of course, but I have only one 6B4G ate hand... I hope some of you could bring more light to this subject...!

Ultralinear connection could well be a compromise for such dilemma, but one can find a thread somewhere else in this forum rejecting that. The same applies for NFB, a potential cure for any troubles regarding bandwidth and distortion but con bring an assortment of other illnesses... What could one conclude in face of such facts?

I think that the combination of different design features can lead to wonderful as well as disatrous results. Intriguing techniques such as the Super Triode Control should only be tried when one is absolutely sure about how to do it - as the Japanese audiophiles do...

Trying to bring back my feet to the ground, I still wanna try my hand with a 807 PP design the classical way (the Dynaco Mark 3 fashion), so I can have a term of comparison when trying bolder techniques, such like screen excitation, for instance - always inviting for someone like me having lots of sweep tubesaround with their low voltage screen ratings...

It would be nice to see this thread growing! Cheers to all,

fbetti, from Brazil

Well,
Here is what decided my project, an SE 813. After finishing my EL84 PP amp, I wanted to try something SE - but the low power output would require me to build a new set of speakers as well....So I started to look around for a way to go SE, but with enough power to drive my Bozaks for the moment.

-Steve

1. What looks interesting at the moment?

2. What can I get the time budget for? (Cost is usually not a factor; I'm not into fashion components)

3. (last priority) What's practical for the speakers I have?

Number 3 ought to be number 1 for any sensible person. Not being sensible, the last amps I built were p-p EL84 at 17W to drive speakers that need a 200 watt amp to really sing.

i usually decide on my next project because im bored and either find something lying around that i get the urge to mod or use in a project, or find something like an old cheap dvd player lying around and decide i'll mod it for a laugh and see how well it works... Either way i dont usually put a lot of though into it.. The other thing i do sometimes is get bored and find myself playing around in spice and come up with something promising and decide to prototype it, infact this is usually what happens with me..lol..
OWen

I seem to go through cycles. I'll do something from scratch, and get tired of all the metal work. Then I'll refurbish or modify an old "off the shelf" amplifier, and get tired of working in tight spaces or trying to make a poor layout work right. At present I'm going through a "customize old console pulls" phase. I think the biggest draw of this hobby for me, is the people I meet along my way. The music is just a wonderful bonus. Jay

I'm still crazy new at this and have been bumbling along but enjoying the ride.

I started with a kit integrated amp, then some full range speakers, then a guitar amp from a kit, a guitar from a kit, then a preamp from scratch using a schematic I found on the net, then refurbed a pair of old speakers which was really fun, and finally finishing up a tube phono pre right now.

Currently I'm considering another amp but this time monoblocks. Have found some nice ideas here in the forums.

I haven't followed a plan per se but have been building the component I thought I needed the most, next. I'm really happy with what I've built and refurbed so far. DIY makes audio much more interesting.

Good luck with your choice(s). ;)

Steven-H said:
All,
How do you all decide what project to move onto next ??? I mean; besides the obvious "Wow - that's a cool looking tube !", or "Well, I always did want an SET", how do you go about it ?

What I find interesting. That usually involves trying out designs with non-"audiphool" VTs, especially the much maligned TV t00bz, quite a few of which are outstanding audio performers. Much cheaper than those 2A3s and 300Bs, etc that are frequently used instead.

For example, I always liked the 807's from a looks standpoint - but Im not sure about their audio prowess.

If there's a better audio final out there, I sure haven't heard of it.

Ditto for the 829's.

Dunnow 'bout that one.

Steven-H said:
I always liked the 807's from a looks standpoint - but Im not sure about their audio prowess.

Steve

During the late 1950's I remember when the EL34's were suddenly in short supply and a raft of quitar amps appeared on the market with 807's in 30W p-p o/p stages which with lower Ra-a, sounded way better. Anyone with tubes would immediately spot the RF equivalent of the 6L6 which it is. 807's pressed into real audio service can give 50W p-p but at this stage the 6550 series is better suited.
I find the EL34 a good tube but far, far too soft on the uppers, even on guitar... Everyone agree ?
The 807 is legendary in it's own element, like a 6L6 tame as a cat.

richj

Now I have a heap of tubes of various kinds and also a some transformers, so I try to optimize by putting together a certain tube with a certain transformer. I have to look at power voltage and current ratings and of course the "imponator factor" of the tubes - a 829 is better that EL84 for instance.
I also try to find a sort of balance between look of tube and OP-power and simplicity of design.
This list which contains maybe seven future projects is constantly changes as I either get new tubes, nwe components of other type or get an design that looks interesting.

The projects that are "planned" for the future are the 6B4G-PP, 807-SE, 6P43P (like EL84) -PP, 829-SE, 832-PP, 6L6-PP, 6P36S-??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.