Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2007, 04:25 AM   #1
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Question cheap ebay KT88 amp

I just bought one of these little guys a few minutes ago.

A web search turned up nothing, anyone know anything about them?

I bought a Hammond chassis and some el34 and 6ca7 (should be in tomorrow) and was going to scratch build a single ended amp, but saw this and thought I might save myself a bit of trouble.

regards,

Win
Old 28th February 2007, 08:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

which little guy's?

Andy
Old 28th February 2007, 03:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Whoops.

One of these little guys:

item number: 200083473307

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget
Old 28th February 2007, 08:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've seen those!

They are mass produced in China and for a small fee, they put your company name on them. Not likely you'll find info on it under that name.

One of my wholesaler's offered them to me. They didn't say who made them though.
Old 1st March 2007, 12:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassrogue
I had my eyeball on that amp the other day too but didnt buy. Please let us know how it sounds and build quality.
Old 1st March 2007, 12:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

ahhhh not the same then,

my experiences with a Chinese SE amp are in this thread

Cheap and Chinese KT88 SE amp

Since the thing is not available to me in the UK I can't see the larger pictures (I assume thats it) only the thumbnails, Out of interest what are the driver tubes?

It looks like the box on the one you got is physically larger which will be a heck of a benefit. You'll see I ultimately got something I was reasonably happy with. Not that it sucked out of the box you understand.

Depending on how confident you feel (and if you were doing a scratch build then it should be no problem) you might find the EL34's you got can be dropped right in - I'd suggest you give them a go but it depends on the biasing arrangements in your amp.

Andy
Old 1st March 2007, 04:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The photo shows EH 12ax7 and Reflector/Sovtek KT88.

I had some JJ E34L (blue) come in today. I'm expecting some Ei 6ca7 to come in tomorrow.
Old 1st March 2007, 04:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The photo shows EH 12ax7 and Reflector/Sovtek KT88.

I had some JJ E34L (blue) come in today. I'm expecting some Ei 6ca7 to come in tomorrow.
Old 1st March 2007, 01:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w5jag
Curses! I'm a bit jealous..

JJ E34L's did a lovely job in mine but the pins are small far less tight than the EH KT88's they replaced. If you have them try that before you do anything else (I have rk=300R biases out at 22v I think, I remember its 25.6 watts. off the 25 watt rated tube - no problems) I was Uber pleased with the result. I'll emphasise that a 5k OPT with the KT88 is odd you may have something that better suits that tube.

I'm real interested in this. The size of the case in mine was a real handicap which you dont have. I reckon you'll have a good performer out of the box. Imagine if you start adding ccs's and a regulated PSU

Keep us posted, I'm in China till April and I have room in my case...

Andy
Old 1st March 2007, 06:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Andy.

The first thing I am going to do is open up the amp and make sure pin 1 on the KT88 socket is not being used as a tie point. If it is not, I'll jump it over to pin 8 as I do intend to use the E34L or 6CA7 right off the bat.

I am really curious to see how the little thing is made and wired. With a 10 watt rating, I'm guessing it is wired as an SET, but maybe not. I bought it on a lark because it was so cheap, but now I am getting really anxious to see it in person. So far, the seller has not responded to my e-mails about a shipping date, so I'm not real pleased about that.

I still intend to scratch build an amp to play with. After 30 years of ham radio, I have hundreds, maybe thousands, of tubes and parts, from 45's all the way up to 572B (just no 6CA7 - figures since that is what I decided on to play with).

Do you have a suggestion as to what to replace the 12AX7 with? I was thinking of RCA 7025, but I have nearly all of the other brands and types, including Telefunken, Mullard, Amperex, etc. ....

Regards,

Win

Hide this!Advertise here!