• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Opinions and ideas on my new amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
He everyone.. this is my first thread on this forum. I've posted this design on audioasylum before, but thought I'd try here too just to get as many opinions as possible. It's a design for a single-ended KT88-amp.

http://213.67.45.70/se_kt88.gif

I've tried to keep the design as simple as possible.... I have yet to figure out the values at the cathode on the KT88 but the rest is taken directly from svetlana's homepage. What do you think of the design? Will it work? I know it won't produce much power but I'm perfectly satisfied as long as I get about 5W.

Just a suggestion or two...

I would lean more toward stock off the shelf transformers if you can. It would make it more cost effective for others to build your amp.

I would use a tube rectifier as opposed to solid state.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much power is expected with this design?

Joe

Power estimation so far is (as stated above) 5W.

About the transformers... As output transformer Hammond 1628SE should work beautifully. Has the same specs as the one I'm getting from sowter. Anything with a 5k primary, 43% ul-tap that can handle 120mA or so should do just fine. And I'm not sure but I do believe the 372JX (also from hammond) should do the trick as mains. It can handle 8A heater-current so the voltage might go up a bit since my amp only draws 3,9A.

I prefer solid-state because they are easy to work with and can handle larger caps. So far i plan to use one lytic 2200uF, two lytic 22uF and eight poly 2,2uF. I think a 2200uF cap would stress most rectifiertubes a bit too much.

Are you saying that other people might wanna try this amp?? I can't tell you how glad I would be if someone did. I mean.. that's gotta be the ultimate compliment. But since I haven't tried it myself yet you guys might wan't to wait a bit. But then again.. I can't think of one good reason it wouldn't work.

Problem no 1. I couldn't find any lundahl-xfrmrs that seemed to fit. I could be wrong.

Problem no 2. (The biggest issue) Have you ever seen a lundahl??? Why don't they make a good looking cover for their transformers??!??

The reason I wen't with sowter is that they look awesome (I will goldplate the shields) and that I can specify them just the way I wan't. A big plus is that people i've spoken to says they sound REALLY good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.