• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Some trouble reading schematics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used a 2W ECL82 (6BM8) single ended amp on my 89dB B&Ws, and it was easily powerful enough to rock the room, with a woofer movement of an inch or so before audible distortion. I have heard that, on average, most listening is done below 1 Watt.

This is why I suggest you don't need that much power. Ask yourself how often you really crank your system to roof raising levels. If its all the time, then maybe you need a more powerful amp. If, like myself, most of your listening is done at low-to-medium levels, a small amp will suffice. I am a big believer in "less is more."

Also, valve watts are bigger!

To build a PP 25W amp for less than $US200 would involve some pretty nasty compromises, whereas you could build a pretty nice SE 8-10W amp for $200. Also it can be difficult to build a good sounding PP amp, whereas SE amplifiers are an order of magnitude simpler.

For a novice, I would try to make it as easy as possible for yourself! Either rebuild a vintage hi-fi amp (easy with good results) or build yourself a simple, low cost SE amp from scratch.

~my $0.02 :D

Hello,

There is a 6c33 design I've seen that uses cathode bias, and a more regular power supply.
From what I've heard, fixed bias on these is trouble.

The cathode bias circuit don't need bias circuit in the power supply,
but it would need higher voltage supply, and some power
would be dissipated in the cathode resistor.

The fixed bias have little more complex power supply, but it
have lower distortion than cathode bias circuit, and there is no
much power dissipated in cathode resistor.

And here below are some voltages that should appear on the circuit :

Best regards,
Kristijan Kljucaric
http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip

Attachments

• 6c33c-amp2.gif
    6c33c-amp2.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 201
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.