• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How cool is tube deep cooling?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cryo-cr-ap

IF it really DID do anything, Don't you think that tubes and other elect. parts intended for critical and military applications would have this treatment done as a normal proceedure to improve the performance?

Just another High-End Money Extraction Tool, along with the silver power cables and crystal-stones!

Just marketing cr-ap...Dont fall for it!:D

Re: Cryo-cr-ap

Just marketing cr-ap...Dont fall for it!:D [/B]

Of course, that's part of the point. Anyway, a lot of people (inc me) knows that old tubes sounds much better than same new ones.
We have not yet sat. explanation of that, have u?

Secondly, I know russian company which made similar envestigations and they said that results was really great.

That's why I'm asking do anybody hear more about the topic.

cyro treatment what a bunch of who ha al cyro treatment of metals does is releive minute residual stress's well unless it's always submerged in ln2 then you reduce resistance but this property is only exhibited in certian metals usually with a high room temp resistance.

If anything cryo treating could trash a tube if it's filament in thorated tungsten because at those temps it would be so brittle that you couldn't move it tell it warmed up.

Nick

burnedfingers said:
Can you say "Snake oil"?

As the Resident Skeptic, I would say, "Not so fast." This may indeed be utter BS, but IMO, it's worth looking at since it passes three of my personal skeptical filters:

1. Testimonial evidence from people I respect.

2. A plausible physical mechanism.

3. A way to objectively and quantitatively test that mechanism.

Most snake oil can't get past 1, and none can get past 2 and 3. I leave aside questions of audibility, I'm just talking about claimed measurable changes. I'd like to see the measurements, but would even more like to do the measurements.

"Not so fast."

None of my tubes have been cryo-treated so I won't judge but I agree with SY there is plenty of evidence that points towards benefits.

Most if not all of the negative commentaries come from people that haven't done any research let alone heard a cryo-treated tube.... That says something ;)

Igormak, I'ld definitely give it a try and please report here with your findings

Simon

I agree with SY there is plenty of evidence that points towards benefits.

You've gotten a bit ahead of me. I didn't say there's plenty of evidence, I said there was plenty of reason to try to get some evidence. If there's real, objective, well performed and interpreted experimental stuff out there, I haven't seen it, which is why I'm quite interested in trying to actually gather some (or fail to, if that's how it turns out).

There's also the question of possible detrimental effects, especially regarding the pin-glass seal integrity. I'd like to see some careful work done on that.

I didn't say there's plenty of evidence, I said there was plenty of reason to try to get some evidence.

Admittedly a rather poor choice of words. Let me just say that I think there are enough clues that suggest that the hypothesis that cryogenic treatment of tubes can yield positive results is worthwile for further investigation. :D

Simon

It is certainly well established that cryogenic cooling can change material properties, sometimes dramatically. Here’s a link to the cryogenic effects on steel from Wikipedia. And because material properties have an effect on the properties of electronic components, even if only by altering the mechanical resonances, I have to agree with SY and others that I cannot be dismissive of claims of audible effects. Still, like with anything, there are bound to be exaggerated claims. I haven’t done any before and after tests myself.

Cryogenic hardening in steels

Re: Re: How cool is tube deep cooling?

poynton said:
PS
What's with the avatars, guys ??

This Spiderman is my favourite so far...... and I've had a fair few.
I love messing around with animated avatars. Here's a modified version of SY's. It takes quite a while to loop.

On topic: Does each junction between crystals in a conductor act like a diode and how would this be changed by freezing?

Martin.

Attachments

• tetsujin - white .gif
    tetsujin - white .gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 240
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.