• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE 300B or PP KT88 amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
se 300b or pp Kt88 amps ?

Which amps sound better, single ended say using 300B tubes or the more usual phase splitter (PP)designs, say KT88 ,EL34s etc?

Is there a difference?

I have been looking at music angel se 300B amps and comparing them to PP KT88s amps.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I would think it very much depends on your speakers and type of music you play, and listening habbits in general

300B would be optimal fore smaller orchestra and low listening levels

For hard rock it would a PP - someone has called el34 the poor mans 845:D

I think I would prefer KT66

It's like asking if butter is better than cheese :D Both of which tastes good... but which bread? :xeye:

What are your speakers? Based on experience, if I have hi-eff speakers, I'd go for SET. Right now I'm running on a 0.9W 10Y amp on my speakers (DIY) and it can rock!

So I suppose borrowing amps from your good friends would help you decide. The best thing to do is hear the amps on your own system, own room.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sure, I do that too, quite often actually :)

And yes, I too would like to build a speaker to be driven with 1watt

Arvin, whats it gonna be, will you reveal your secret about your system

But I would like to comment that its not only a question of one particular tube

Re: se 300b or pp Kt88 amps ?

arvin said:
Which amps sound better, single ended say using 300B tubes or the more usual phase splitter (PP)designs, say KT88 ,EL34s etc?

Is there a difference?

I have been looking at music angel se 300B amps and comparing them to PP KT88s amps.

These Chinese amps sure get a lot of interest at the moment. For SE designs just watch the size of the output transformers. My opinion is that its probably easier to get any SE design without low end boom! If you like your Drum and Bass they probably aint for you.

That Music Angel 300B amp is a fine looking beast though, is there any particular type of PP amp you are interested in?

Although it won't be an problem immediately, a practical issue might be the the cost of 300B's - least I can see on ebay is £70 for a matched pair. :eek: Going up to £480 for the ones that come in their own wooden box!

Andy

system

I have a marantz cd player with an audiolab DAC.

Musical fidelity x can 2 tube buffer

Yarland amplifier y34 about 10 watts

yamaha ns200 speakers (,what hi fi winners 2000), they are very sensitive.

I am looking to upgrade my amp, at the music angel range of amps but which tubes?

KT88, EL34?, any suggestions?

I like all kinds of music.

cheers

Arvin, with a spec of 90dB sensitivity, I wouldn't say that your NS-200 are "very sensitive" as you put it. A 300B at 8W will be the minimum I would say to drive these speakers. Having said that, my 300B had difficulty driving a Dali Ikon 6, but my 10W 807 amp was a good match for the Dali Concept 6 and can even drive a Von Schwiekert VR-1. I was crazy to drive a Spendor S3/5 too with a 2A3 and while it sounds pretty much ok for vocals, it ran out of steam playing 1812 Overture :D Believe it or not I was previously using an Infinity Kappa 200 (89dB sens) with my 2A3 because I like the tone until someone sold me an Altec vintage 10-incher which led me to the DIY route. I would have wanted a Coincident Triumph Signature which I babysat for a week, but I can't afford them.

I believe gingertube, a fellow forumer has experience with Music Angel amps, I just forgot which one is that. Try searching for Music Angel posted by gingertube.

Re: system

arvin said:
I have a marantz cd player with an audiolab DAC.

Musical fidelity x can 2 tube buffer

Yarland amplifier y34 about 10 watts

yamaha ns200 speakers (,what hi fi winners 2000), they are very sensitive.

I am looking to upgrade my amp, at the music angel range of amps but which tubes?

KT88, EL34?, any suggestions?

I like all kinds of music.

cheers

I had one of the Yarland Amps an FV34C with diddy little EL84 tubes I still have pangs of regret about selling it.

How do you find it now? Is it often wound around to MAX or not?

If it helps my decision was a P-P KT88 amp I like the look of the tubes. Plus you dont need to worry about a smooth supply for the heaters.

If you go for a KT88 amp you can (probably) try EL34's at a later date, the heater / plate current requirements are lower. A PSU capable of supplying KT88 will suffice for EL34's

Either the KT88 or the EL34's can be strapped as triodes if the Amp doesnt come with that feature already

Andy

arnoldc said:
I believe gingertube, a fellow forumer has experience with Music Angel amps, I just forgot which one is that. Try searching for Music Angel posted by gingertube.

Also Search for "Chinese" :) There are a few threads

tinitus said:
http://www.iconaudio.co.uk/ProductRange.htm

Isnt this in UK - should be nice and affordable amps, and resently updated

saw a review for the KT88 version in "Hifi choice" - They loved it" not sure if £1500 is affordable though!

If you want to window shop the Chinese amps take a look at www.ornec.com they have many of the manufacturers there although I've never used them to buy from.

Andy

navin said:

A schematic would be lovely. The New Stereo 40 looks clean. Just 7 valves. Any idea where one could get a schematic of that amp?

a schematic would be a blessing true but it almost tells you on the leaflet, "Williamson front end then a push pull driver", then later:
4 x KT88 / 6550
2 x 12AX7 (ecc83) first stage valves
2 x 12AT7 (ecc81) output driver valves

I'd love to know the biasing though, 30w in triode mode for 2 kt88's is very healthy

Its probably not all that different "in theory" from the music angel ones. The cost is in the components...

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.