• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need help to make a correct 83 (merc.vapor.rect) SS replacement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I planned to make SS replacement for rectifiers (83 & 5Y3) in my Hicock tube tester (TV-7/U).

I didn't find a simulator model for the 83 and try to compute it.
But for now I'm stuck with curve captor, as I don't understand what to put in the "Vg" fields when computing rectifier diodes??? should I put actuall plate voltage ???

Has anybody yet tried such SS substitutes ? ANY advices ?
I wanted to try as a first guess:
- thyristors
- series diodes (up to 13-15V whith a small res.)
- something whith zeners.

Any experience is welcome!

PS: Sould I load the filament transformer as heavily as the 83, or should I decrease the power dissipation ? Thanks

Is the 83 crapped out?

The 5Y3 is still very easy to pick up. The 83 which I believe is a mercury vapor is harder to find yet it is still out there. If the tubes are still operational then take a voltage measurement and see what the current draw is on each tube.

Throwing in a SS rectifier would be very easy but then it will throw off the final voltage from the supply as it will end up being higher and corrective action will need to be taken. The higher voltage would end up with your tester being way out of wack.

Take a fools advice here... purchase another 83 if yours has gone for that long sleep. The same goes for the 5Y3. When you have them check the voltages and current draws like I mentioned. If you are still hell bent to re-invent the wheel then by all means go for it...but this time you will be armed with the proper information so you don't have to guess.

Just my .02

Hi Burnedfingers,

I've got some 83 spares as for the 5Y3,
But the idea of the toxic 83 scares me (especially mounted horizontally and with short time preheating, non stop ON/OFF cycles).
I've allready replaced the meter with a permanent DMM.
And want to do this replacement before final calibration to get an accurate and not drifting tube tester.

PS: all of my 83's are "unglued" any trick to reglue them ? wich glue ? I the same kinda way, I don't like the "cyano glue cooking" idea!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.