• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Foreplay III pre amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes-a fun build and good sound

I built the Foreplay III when it came out and replaced my Foreplay II with it. Very clear CD instructions for the build and it sounds very good. I subsequently did the Extended upgrade. Build it stock, upgrade later. Trouble-shooting is more straightforward when done in the two steps.
I do have a complete Bottlehead system (phono pre, pre, amplifiers, speakers) and they work really well together. But many have been happy adding it to a simple solid state system. You can check out their board at Audio Asylum and look at all the comments in the archives.
Good luck.

I had extreme fun to build the extended foreplay:D , there was one 2 hour to fix the manual to skip/link the instruction for the original. Also I had few missing parts, they arrived very fast just after email.

Worked perfect from start except a weird voltage = bad tube, bottlehead send one in mail to replace it very fast again.

Used it just a bit with ss amp, had too much gain :cannotbe: , used it in buffer mode = improved the bass on my tube amp.

For fun it's awesome, just make sure you match the output impedance and the gain for your system!!!

The only thing I wanted to change was the volume pot: bigger resistor please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.