• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Se KT88 with Quad ESL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone had success driving a Quad 63 electrostatic speaker with a SE KT88 amp?

I've recently built my own SE KT88 using a 6SL7, KT88 in UL and Hammond 1627. The 8 ohm output is also used as CFB. The amp is great with conventional speakers but with the ESL's the treble is reduced and the bass is excessive. Is this normal for a SE amp of this type with an ESL?

Thanks
Andrew

just to let you know my PP amp is an audio innovations 300mk2 (pretty rare) using 12AX7 and ECL86. Gives 10WPC and is more than enough to amp these to respectable levels, but not if you want to shake the whole house. Then if you have a set of quads you won't really want to do that anyway!

I think Quad recommend anything from 10 to 80WPC as being capable.

The 63s have protection built in so you won't damage them by over amping

Fran

Thanks guys, I think you're right, the impedance of the Quads is a difficult load for the KT88's. I'll try again using the 4ohm tap and perhaps triode as suggested above...

Looks like I'll need to try a different approach. Perhaps a KT88PP with cfb is the way to go! :)

Kind Regards
Andrew Parsons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.