• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Parts from Salvage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I've searched but didn't find a thread covering this: Where can parts be salvaged and how can they be used in amps (or other).

I thought it would be good to gather together all suggestions into one thread for all frugiphiles and cheapskates like myself.

I got my current tube amp (Rogers Cadet III) from a recycling centre - the output stage of which I have rebuilt into a Gingertube "baby huey" at no cost.

In the past I had desolder some high voltage caps from TV circuits, etc before disposing of the pcb. As I was not a tubes guy I had no immediate use for them but they came in useful in above amp.

I have heard that caps and chokes from Microwave ovens can be used - could somebody detail where they are most applicable.

I have also seen mention of ballast chokes in fluorescent lights being useful - again could somebody detail where applicable.

Finally, mention is often made of motor run capacitors - I presume these are not used in cars but in electric motors - so there goes my idea of picking them up at car salvage yards - wher are these usually found?

I downloaded an article recently (and posted about it here) detailing how to convert a PC smps into a hig voltage output PS suitable for B+ tube PS.

Any other areas where cheap (free) parts might be obtained?

All this appeals to me on two fronts - usually free or at least very cheap and also the green party aspect of it all.

John

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would suggest a recyling place/scrap yard
they buy non-working chassis's and sell as either
Steel or Aluminum breakage and I have found
wonderfull transformers on these units. And they
will normally sell you all by the pound/ or for you KG.
I know quite a few people who buy these tube
chassis and salvage the american tube sockets
and the tubes as well....

Steve @ Apex Jr.

As I said in my first post, I found the Rogers Cadet III amp(fully working) in a recycling centre.

In the past I have also found 3*Samson Servo 250 pro audio amps 250 watt (good sound but I got them for parts - large heatsink, large EI trafo, 8*2SC5200 trannies & complimentary trannies, 2*10000uF 80V Sawha(?) capacitors.

I also picked up a Rega Planar 2 turntable - old model with S shaped Lustre(?) arm - fully working except for belt - replaced with rubber band - seems to work well - need more time to listen.

So far, recycling centres have been good to me although the staff don't like you to take away more than you are dropping off - I tend to ignore their protestations seeing as I pay €7 every time I want to bring in my car with material to be recycled.

Any other suggestions for equipment to look out for which have recyclable parts?

John

For the motor-run capactors, try abandoned trailer parks, farms, etc., where they have a deep well water system, I've seen these on pump controls. Also (but not sure, and HVAC outdoor unit or pool pump system). Also for relays, octal sockets, etc., try old gas stations/convenience stores, as a lot of times their gas pumps use some of this hardware.

john, I tried some of the recycling places here and the gits wouldn't allow me take stuff away (the mind boggles!)

3 phase motors here run on 380V - might be a source (that I hadn't thought of up to now) of caps. I think theres a difference though in motor run and motor start caps (although 3 phase mightn't need those, not sure). These motors are chucked out all over the place as they are very cheap to buy.

Fran

Fran,

As you are taking stuff for recycling out of the car bring what you want back to the car (so what if you are leaving with more than you brought) - I don't get questioned when I do this.

The one and only time I asked I was refused - so I ignore them now.

What are three phase motors used for - how would I recognise one?

Jackinnj, we don't have tornados (or trailer parks) in this part of the world, maybe this is a good thing

John

What about other ideas?

Like connecting 2 lower power PS transformers in series back-to-back to get higher power. This was referenced by Shoog and also linked to the Mudlark A205 Valve Amplifier schematic but I can't find these references now to link to here. Can anybody supply links?

BTW, here's a link to all Silicon Chip projects/schematics http://www.elektrotekno.com/archive/o_t__t_9013__full-projeler-silicon-chips.html
I found this when searching for the Mudlark schematic - this was published in Silicon Chips

John

John,

in an industrial setting most motors are 3 phase. 3 phase motors are more efficient, lower cost to run and about 1/3 the price of a single phase motor. The catch is that it usually costs a fortune to get 3 phase power connected.

A 3 phase motor will look the very same as a single phase if you have a look at the motor plate, it will say "3ph" or "380V" etc.

Next I go to the dump, I'll have to scrounge around a bit more

Fran

In reading the Mudlark Amp article: http://www.geocities.com/dbr_audio/Parafeed_2x6L6.zip

I came accross a couple of interesting ideas:

1) the use of two toroids to supply B+ & filament voltages

n essence, the two 160VA toroidal transformers, T1 & T2, are connected back-to-back. Transformer T1 runs conventionally, supplying 25VAC to the 30VAC centre-tapped secondary winding of transformer T2. With 25VAC applied in this way and coupling losses due to reverse operation, T2 produces 150VAC at full load on what would normally be its primary winding. This feeds a voltage doubler rectifier circuit consisting of diodes D1 & D2 and four 270mF capacitors.

2) the use of fluorescent light ballast chokes for PS smoothing

The DC from the voltage doubler is further smoothed by the LC filters consisting of 3H (three Henry) chokes and 100mF 400V capacitors. The resulting output is about 400V DC. Incidentally, the 3H choke used here is the same compact ballast choke as used for the valve plate chokes. These chokes are of extremely high quality and low noise. Better still, they are Australian-made and are a bargain when compared to hard-to-get and costly EI lamination chokes.

And Again

Two valves are used in the output stage. They are connected in parallel and have a common 56W cathode resistor, bypassed by a 220μF capacitor. The plate current for the two valves passes through a 9H (nine Henry) choke – essentially three standard compact fluorescent ballasts connected in series – and this provides a high AC impedance but low DC resistance to supply the HT to the plates. The output signal is then coupled to the primary of the output transformer via a 10mF 400V polypropylene capacitor.

As I'm not comfortable with calculations & theory so these are the sort of examples I like - real components in real circuits with schematics

Fran, Thanks for info - had a look at Maplin.co.uk £24.12 probably translates to €50 here - still UL taps 4/8/16 ohm taps 5.5k. Does anybody rate these?

John

Attachments

• fuente.jpg
    fuente.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 586
Some replies from another forum:

Hi Fran,
These transformers look to be the ones for Maplins own Millenium 4-20 amps, a design based on the Mullard 5-20, but using solid state rectification. From all accounts they should be good for the money, but not great in absolute terms. They may well be worth a try for experimentation.

Hi,

The N91CC OPTXs are near-equivalents to their previous Millenium ones (for 2 el34 in push-pull UL) but are 5k6 primary instead of 6k6,

"Chassis mounting 25W push-pull output transformer suitable for 2 x EL34 valves. Secondary tapped at 4/8/16Ω. Primary, 5k6Ω anode to anode with ultra-linear taps. Grain oriented silicon steel interleaved laminations."

The N90CC mains TX will not supply enough heater current for a pair of el34s though and the HT is not high enough for that power amp design. I think this is a near equiv for Maplin's previous XP13 and may be good for various pre-amp designs,

"Input:0-115V, 0-115V
Output 1:240-0-240V @ 150mA total
Output 2:3.15-0-3.15V @ 1.5A total"

Hi-for what you want try this supplier

http://www.livinginthepast.demon.co.uk/valveaudio.html

he does the maplin range plus some upgraded parts.

So basically the output transformers may be worthwhile but not the power ones. Haven't looked to see what shipping would be.

Fran

I'm finding it interesting to see a bunch of Irish people talking about scrounging parts. I moved to Dublin from Australia about six months ago and was immediately struck by the complete disdain anything old or scrounged is held in.

So here's a question, where are the junk shops and flea markets of Ireland? I'm not being rhetorical, I'd genuinely like to know. One of my favourite hobbies is picking my way through someone else's surplus and I haven't been able to indulge it for six months...

Sorry for the threadjacking.

Gday thevoice,

This is exactly what I feel myself - there is a lot of disdain from the inhabitants of this fair isle(?) towards anything that doesn't smack of excessive money having been spent aquiring it. Conspicuous consumption is rife here.

This is easily seen in people being stupidly uneasy about doing DIY as if it is demeaning in some way. What fools!

On the other hand, it means that some excellent finds are available in the right places - see my earlier posts.

There are some charity shops on Georges St./camden St. (just off Dame St.) where you will find other peoples surplus to rifle through. Good luck - you may well find some gems - vinyl collections are often found there.

Let us know about your finds - I'm all for this.

BTW, I found this site today, it sells some recycled parts from electrical equipment http://www.electronic-recycling.ie/

Also, interesting to note that a lot of the references I noted were australian sites - good on ya

John

jkeny said:

I also picked up a Rega Planar 2 turntable - old model with S shaped Lustre(?) arm - fully working except for belt - replaced with rubber band - seems to work well - need more time to listen.

John

The rubber band made me laugh, good find though. Here in Ontario we have recycle it centers where you can go pick through stuff that people have just donated or dropped off.

Hi Pyre,
When I was in Toronto in '72 I loved the way the canadians left their front doors open & left their surplus furniture etc out on the pavement for recycling.

I know the elastic band was just something to get the turntable turning so I could listen to it but hey it seems to work - needs some critical listening.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.