Parts from Salvage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2007, 07:30 PM   #1
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Default Parts from Salvage

Hi all,
I've searched but didn't find a thread covering this: Where can parts be salvaged and how can they be used in amps (or other).

I thought it would be good to gather together all suggestions into one thread for all frugiphiles and cheapskates like myself.

I got my current tube amp (Rogers Cadet III) from a recycling centre - the output stage of which I have rebuilt into a Gingertube "baby huey" at no cost.

In the past I had desolder some high voltage caps from TV circuits, etc before disposing of the pcb. As I was not a tubes guy I had no immediate use for them but they came in useful in above amp.

I have heard that caps and chokes from Microwave ovens can be used - could somebody detail where they are most applicable.

I have also seen mention of ballast chokes in fluorescent lights being useful - again could somebody detail where applicable.

Finally, mention is often made of motor run capacitors - I presume these are not used in cars but in electric motors - so there goes my idea of picking them up at car salvage yards - wher are these usually found?

I downloaded an article recently (and posted about it here) detailing how to convert a PC smps into a hig voltage output PS suitable for B+ tube PS.

Any other areas where cheap (free) parts might be obtained?

All this appeals to me on two fronts - usually free or at least very cheap and also the green party aspect of it all.

John
Old 17th February 2007, 08:24 PM   #2
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
I always salvage things that look useful.

The big box marked 'that will come it handy someday!'.

Andy
Old 17th February 2007, 08:51 PM   #3
Apex Jr is offline Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

I would suggest a recyling place/scrap yard
they buy non-working chassis's and sell as either
Steel or Aluminum breakage and I have found
wonderfull transformers on these units. And they
will normally sell you all by the pound/ or for you KG.
I know quite a few people who buy these tube
chassis and salvage the american tube sockets
and the tubes as well....

Steve @ Apex Jr.
Old 17th February 2007, 08:54 PM   #4
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by Apex Jr
I would suggest a recyling place/scrap yard
Anyone in the UK know of one ???????

Andy
Old 17th February 2007, 08:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Your neighbor's trash container.
Minimal effort, maximum return.
Loads of Japiton devices of beauty in stuff which most throw away.
Old 17th February 2007, 09:08 PM   #6
Banned

As I said in my first post, I found the Rogers Cadet III amp(fully working) in a recycling centre.

In the past I have also found 3*Samson Servo 250 pro audio amps 250 watt (good sound but I got them for parts - large heatsink, large EI trafo, 8*2SC5200 trannies & complimentary trannies, 2*10000uF 80V Sawha(?) capacitors.

I also picked up a Rega Planar 2 turntable - old model with S shaped Lustre(?) arm - fully working except for belt - replaced with rubber band - seems to work well - need more time to listen.

So far, recycling centres have been good to me although the staff don't like you to take away more than you are dropping off - I tend to ignore their protestations seeing as I pay €7 every time I want to bring in my car with material to be recycled.

Any other suggestions for equipment to look out for which have recyclable parts?

John
Old 17th February 2007, 09:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

For the motor-run capactors, try abandoned trailer parks, farms, etc., where they have a deep well water system, I've seen these on pump controls. Also (but not sure, and HVAC outdoor unit or pool pump system). Also for relays, octal sockets, etc., try old gas stations/convenience stores, as a lot of times their gas pumps use some of this hardware.
Old 18th February 2007, 02:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

john, I tried some of the recycling places here and the gits wouldn't allow me take stuff away (the mind boggles!)

3 phase motors here run on 380V - might be a source (that I hadn't thought of up to now) of caps. I think theres a difference though in motor run and motor start caps (although 3 phase mightn't need those, not sure). These motors are chucked out all over the place as they are very cheap to buy.

Fran
Old 18th February 2007, 04:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by frank754
For the motor-run capactors, try abandoned trailer parks, farms, etc., where they have a deep well water system, I've seen these on pump controls.
These are best picked over after a tornado which have uncanny affection for trailer parks.
Old 18th February 2007, 03:43 PM   #10
Banned

Fran,

As you are taking stuff for recycling out of the car bring what you want back to the car (so what if you are leaving with more than you brought) - I don't get questioned when I do this.

The one and only time I asked I was refused - so I ignore them now.

What are three phase motors used for - how would I recognise one?

Jackinnj, we don't have tornados (or trailer parks) in this part of the world, maybe this is a good thing

John

Hide this!Advertise here!