• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

problems with 805 tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had the worst luck with 805 tubes. The first pair I got were direct from china, and one was blown. The second pair I got cost me 80 dollars, came from a US Tube distributor, but were also the Chinese Sheguang tubes, and the metal "hats" fell off. The Epoxy, or whatever it used to attach them, came undone from the heat. I then ordered a second pair from China, the new version with Ceramic Insulators. I plug them in, it blows a fuse, one of the 805's is bad. I can't seem to get a decent set of 805's at a reasonable price. I could pay 350-400 dollars for the Valve art 805's, which are Chinese, but I guess of higher quality. I could look for a set of NOS RCA's or GE's, or whatever, but I seem them so rarely, and they also go for quite a bit. Anyone got any ideas here. I would not have thought that the 805 tube was such a pain in the butt.

One I dea I had was to take a pair of the good 805's and use a conductive epoxy to resecure the hats. It should work, and at least I know the tubes are good. I wish I could have some with the thermal isolator like the new ones I ordered.:smash:

You probably can't use conductive or any other sort of epoxy on the plate caps.

Most epoxies can't handle the envelope temperature.

You need either "lamp cement" which is what is normally used on vacuum tubes or some other sort of high temperature "adhesive". Both can be had, although you'll have to do some research to make that happen.

I don't happen to have either myself... fyi.

I'd contact the seller, and see if they'll make good on the bad tube(s).

_-_- bear

PS. you do know the 805 is a zero bias class B tube?
For SE operation, an 845 or 211 is likely preferable.

thanks, I'm really getting sick of these tubes. I mean, when working they sound great, but they don't last, and I have currently 6 tubes and 2 good ones. None of them are matched, not that its all that important, but the two good ones don't even look alike. Anyway, thanks, I will look for that cement.

Nail polish No way it will get brittle way to fast from the heat

Maybe on the top of an 805 tube it will.

But not on the base of a rectifier tube or 300B....works like a charm. Got the tip from: Tube Lore by Ludwell Sibley"

"Loose Bases.

To re-cement the tube, use clear nail polish - paint a ring around the base, let the polish soak into the old cement, recoat, and let dry overnight. Polystyrene "coil dope" works as well, and can be used to refill the nail-polish bottle.

Solvent (acetone, etc.) are ineffective in softening the old base cement - the cement was baked hard in manufacture, and "nothing" dissolves it.
"

Don't think I would try Polystyrene dope. Much much too low a melt and burn point!

Today's nailpolishes are acrylics, also too low of a melt point for this application, imho.

I have heard that there may be some silicones that are suitable for tube bases.

You can get the formula for "lamp cement" on the web... it is makeable.

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.