• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cathode feedback and DHTs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any considerations I should be aware of using DHTs and cathode feedback? The filament transformer will be non-decoupled in the signal path -- any chances for capacitive or inductive coupling between the push and pull side or strange frequency response?

At the schematic a filament transformer, with two center-tapped windings, is connected to x-ct-x and y-ct-y.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Jan E Veiset

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
When I tried the same trick with 2A3 (didn't work very well), I used a transformer kit to make the 2A3 heater windings. The significance is that it was a split bobbin construction with the primary in one half and the other half left empty for the secondary. Thus, there was very low capacitance between the mains and the 2.5V 2A3 heater windings. You might want to consider the same idea here.

EC8010 said:
When I tried the same trick with 2A3 (didn't work very well), I used a transformer kit to make the 2A3 heater windings. The significance is that it was a split bobbin construction with the primary in one half and the other half left empty for the secondary. Thus, there was very low capacitance between the mains and the 2.5V 2A3 heater windings. You might want to consider the same idea here.

Good point!
What went wrong with the 2A3s?

(@mobyd: I'm using MS Visio)

Jan

Giaime said:
Not so much gain available with DHT triodes, to use cathode feedback! :)

Most of them are already hard to drive, and increasing drive signal increases drive stage distortion. So, what's worse? :xeye:

PX25 is quite easy to drive, in this case ~70Vpeak at full power output with cathode feedback. The EL84 driver stage is tested and found very linear: 70V output with less than 0.1% THD, so I don’t think the main problem will be lack of clean voltage swing from the driver. ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Jan E Veiset

Hi Jan, a somewhat off-topic suggestion. I've been playing around with bias points for the triode-mode 6CW5/EL86, subbing for an EL84 in SE. At very near the operating conditions you're using the 3rd harmonic distortion component of NEC-branded version drops dramatically, multiple tens of dBs. I recall the plate current was more high teens than low twenties, otherwise plate load and B+ were near identical. You may be able to significantly better that 0.1% with an EL86 and get lower source impedance to boot. To my ear it also has a much more direct sound than the EL84.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.