Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2007, 05:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mr'Liang audio amplifiers

I was wondering if anyone knows Mr'Liang amplifiers,and especially the ones with the 845SET, weights about 40kg.. heavy transformers, cheap price...
Worth to try or would be dissapointed? Elsewere is the schematic diagram. Try or better leave?

http://lslnx.zsu.edu.cn/webspace2/mr...eb/index.phtml
Old 12th February 2007, 08:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nobody? :s
Old 12th February 2007, 09:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I looked very closely at buying one of these maybe a year ago. It was a KT88 I think, one with 3 round cans for the transformers.

I wrote off through the feedback on ebay to a bunch of owners, all were happy, but then I read somewhere (maybe here) that the power transformers were inclined to die on these. So in the end I left it. If you do buy, I'd say you'd want to be prepared to work on it a bit and forget about any kind of warranty.

Fran
Old 13th February 2007, 05:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

ouch, but these are SET 845's with ringcore psu's, with a cage around, one power transformer for the HV 845, another for all the other heater voltages and the HV for the (chinese version)6L6GC
So worh a try or not? These transformers are not canned.

kind regards
Old 13th February 2007, 06:34 AM   #5
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Cheap PP EL84 amp

I bought a PP EL84 valve amp from one of the Ebay stores. It is still working even though I seldom use it.

I bought it because I want to modify it and maybe even rebuild it.

If you buy one of these cheap amp,

1. Do not expect it would sound as good as the top end valve amp. It is value for money and nothing more. It needs work on it.

2. Be prepared to work on it in case it fails.

3. Many people who bought it modified it and as a result it sounds much better than the original. Basically you want the hard to get components cheaply like o/p transformers and chasis cheaply and also reduce the time spent on running around getting these components.

hope these helps...in making your decision.
Old 13th February 2007, 09:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

On every one of the chinese Amps I've seen the mains transformer gets HOT. So far not one has actually died

My (limited) experience with SET types has been less than persuasive. An earlier push-pull one I had sounded lovely. The Chinese wanna save money too always thats going to be in the transformers.

Incidentally, If you do go ahead. its probably worth treating it like you built it. i.e when it arrives check for wiring errors before plugging it in. Then check the bias / HT and so on. Its always a case of buyer beware.

Standard practice when buying electrical goods in China is to try before you leave the shop - to make sure it works! The vendor is quite prepared when it doesn't - they just get another one from stores.

I'm not having a go at Chinese manufacturers (well not much, you get more than what you pay for after all) The more well known makers (Yarland, G&W, Mingda etc) make some very nice toys.

If you are uneasy with the prospect of splashing out independently try www.ornec.com I've never used them but they have an office in the UK so there may be some protection.

Andy
Old 13th February 2007, 10:01 AM   #7
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Andrew,

Checking every electrical goods that are manufatured in China is VERY CONSERVATIVE indeed.

Australia and US import million(could be close to billion) of dollars worth of electrical goods from China every year I don't think very buyer checks their goods before taking their product home!!!

The quality of goods are improving everyday. The labour costs is low and the price of components are similar everywhere, if it(amp) is very cheap then it has to come from compromising by using cheap components.
Old 13th February 2007, 02:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

So i'm expecting too much for the money? the amp i've buyed, cost about 400$ at his website,shipment not include. The 845-2 model is an upgraded amp who weight more than the amp before with bigger opt's and bigger ps-ringcore transformers. I even get the schematic from the site. Or is it just to think that i've won the big lottery for a very low price? Are they just valued as they're cost? For the price i can't even build myself... but rebuild everyting and just have the chassis and tube feet's would be ashame.. than i just buyed an expensive chassis i think.
Old 13th February 2007, 10:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Chances are the amp will be pretty OK. The thing is that you won't know until you get it! However, even if it isn't the nest int he world it'll probably respond very well to a bit of tweaking here and there.

My story is similar with lower stakes. I bought a PP amp with 6N1 and 6P1 tubes and had hum in it. Grounding was a big suspect, but I reckon now the hum is due to poor caps in the power supply (voltage doubler and insufficient smoothing/filtering) and maybe changing to DC heaters too. However I only paid 140 incl shipping for it. It was probably worth it for parts only and I wanted it as a an introduction to building/making a valve amp. As such its been a cheap set of lessons.

Fran
Old 14th February 2007, 10:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ttan98
Andrew,

Checking every electrical goods that are manufatured in China is VERY CONSERVATIVE indeed.

Australia and US import million(could be close to billion) of dollars worth of electrical goods from China every year I don't think very buyer checks their goods before taking their product home!!!

The quality of goods are improving everyday. The labour costs is low and the price of components are similar everywhere, if it(amp) is very cheap then it has to come from compromising by using cheap components.
Without getting into the politics, if you buy from China as an individual my advice is; "be careful". Of course my Ipod, my laptop, my printer, my mobile phone were all made in China (its a trend - keeps me employed at the moment) - its probably billions of $

Equally, if I go to the Shenzhen Walmart they don't let you leave with your purchase until you've checked it (now that IS customer service) Same if you go to any of the hi-fi shops but they serve you tea and everything

So Kronzilla - The amp WILL absolutely be hand made (the labour rate is shocking - you dont automate) I know from personal experience that the QC can be variable. But its probably checked in the production facility so instant smoke is extremely unlikely.

You might actually be surprised at the component quality too (not keen on the tubes though - sorry) It will pay you to check bias the few I've had the chance to hack at have run the tubes hard.

For sure you wont get better value - especially if you want to tweak

let us all know how you get on - I'll be next in line if its a good deal :-) I fancy a KT88 model

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!