• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

OPT -the good, the bad or the ugly ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am embarking on a "Bottle" project - most likely a copy of this:

http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Leserbriefe/Roessler-Amp/Bauanleitung.htm

While I have heaps of experience in general electronics ( HV including ), and lot from tube based transitters, radios, and fixing old classic amps, I suddenly realise that I have little opinions on the quality of OPTs for audio. On top of that, my son is bugging me to build him a copy of one of the guitar classics, possibly an AC30 clone, or some Fender / Marshal copy.

For HiFI, what is your opininon on OPTs these days? I don't automatically buy the statement of the more pricey the better.......

I have fairly easy access to Lundal and Hammond at acceptable prices, and standard Novarrias are rather cheap here-abouts. Hammond 1650P seems OK for the Grommes clone, as does the Lundahl LL1664.
As more and more of particularly the US suppliers only ship by the large shipping companys, the freight cost is getting more and more hilarious by the day. Any opinions of these vs. the "Botique" versions? What about toroidals as OPTs ( as Amplimo and Plitron), pros and cons??
Should I stick to the "original " VOX OPT or is really any substitute OK ??

For the AC30 clone, I thought of using a Novarria OPT, but I seem to recall something about the OPT saturating as being part of the famous AC30 sound? ( I know the AC30 got steaming hot, so I'll opt for an alternative mechanical layout )

Any Scandinavians sitting on a pair of OPTs they want to trade ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.