Simple tube preamp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2007, 11:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Simple tube preamp?

I want to build a simple tube preamp to feed my Dynaco St-35. Could someone please lead me to a project for this? I want something similiar to the pramp stage of the SCA-35 or the PAS2/3 preamp minus all the tone/ blance/ phone stage stuff.
Old 8th February 2007, 11:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes ... a dual channel please ... Kit or just a good diagram would do it. The KISS principle would hopefully apply ... although I would like to keep the phono pe-amp stage, but no need for tone, balance, etc, Prefered: 3 stereo inputs, for CD/DVD-A, Balanced AUX., PHONO ... balanced output?

Old 8th February 2007, 11:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

How about a Foreplay III? Heard one when I was in NY...with a Fi 2a3 and Big Horns....wonderful sound.
Old 8th February 2007, 11:37 PM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

just build 12B4 preamp with plain vanilla PSU.........xformer,SS rectifiers,CRC (as many times you want it) filter etc.

can't be simpler than that
Old 9th February 2007, 12:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Wow, that Foreplay III is a knock out! Very cool and almost exactly what I was looking for. Thx 2 U, Bas Horneman ... not a bad price either.

(Wondering why these tube guys don't use torrid transformers in the power supplies ?)

Old 9th February 2007, 12:14 AM   #6
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FastEddy
(Wondering why these tube guys don't use torrid transformers in the power supplies ?)

because they are not better in preamp PSUs than good ole EI
Old 10th February 2007, 09:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Toroidals couple any high frequency power line hash from primary to secondary. This is difficult to filter out once in your power supply. This will lead to distortion of your signal as it is imposed on top of it.
EI's are poor at carrying high frequencies (this is why EI output transformers are so difficult to build and hence so expensive), and so the line hash never gets into your signal.

Shoog
Old 10th February 2007, 01:21 PM   #8
dejanm is offline dejanm  Austria
diyAudio Member

and passive pre-amp ? with trainnies ... S&B and if that is to expencive than similar trainnies from Sowter ... no active parts only input selector, wired with trannies and trannie secondaries are connected with the volume pot ... YOu can buy this thing under the name of Music First or Bent Audio or .... Promitheus is Far East option that costs no more than $350 (not very pretty though but it sounds very well).

Only an idea ...

Regards
Dejan
Old 10th February 2007, 05:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

" ... Toroidals couple any high frequency power line hash from primary to secondary. ... EI's are poor at carrying high frequencies ... and so the line hash never gets into your signal. ..."

Informative and to the point. Thanks ...

Is there a way to distinguish EI's (defination please?) of lesser quality or usability for the purposes of power supplies?

Old 11th February 2007, 09:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

EI's are the standard block type transformers. Named after their laminations which look like "E"'s and "I"'s.

Shoog

Hide this!Advertise here!