• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Russian RF Double Tetrodes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many Russian tubes are clones of American and British tubes, they were manufactured during WW-II to replace originals in equipment used by Allies.

Clone of 829 is GU-29 http://hamradio.online.ru/ftp/gu-29.pdf

But except them needed to replace tubes in already working equipment Soviet engineers cloned some remarkable German tubes for a new production. They were based on German prototypes, but had different sockets and envelopes. One of them is the best for audio (IMHO) power ray pentode GU-50 that is a version of German LS-50 developed and manufactured by Telefunken.

Here is the original:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is post-WWII production by Telefunken, simplified to be cheaper in production:

TFKel152.jpg

And here is Russian military clone:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

All of them are ray pentodes. They are more costly in production than ray tetrodes because of strict requirements to grid alignment.

Also, there was 6R3S-1 tube used for audio output stages, but IMHO GU-50 is much better though was developed for military radio transmitters.

http://www.tubes.ru/techinfo/HiFiAudio/6r3s-1.html

Thanks! The curves are low res but they are still useful. I will eventually plot them myself but for now the tubes have already passed the 'usefulness' test :)
GU18-1 socket is the same as for the GU50. Admittedly, the sockets tend to soct more than the tubes, but for now this is not a problem for me as I have a few.
GI30 uses a 7-pin socket that is much moe easily obtainable, same as 6S33S and some other big tubes.

I know that it falls under the cathegory of "self-destructing tubes", but is a 6R3S more or less directly replaceable by a GU50, taking in consideration that the 6R3S is a dual beam-tetrode with a different pin-out?
I have a few schematics of GU50 and 6P36S using the Priboi-chassis.

Direct replacement 6R3S certainly is not possible. It is necessary to adjust the amplifier anew too. The tube 6P36S will be the best variant than GU-50 IMHO. Though GU-50 works in PP amplifiers not bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.