• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubes and microphonics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After having built (conservatively) over a hundred tube amps, I have never experienced a problem with microphonics in output tubes (where you usually see ceramics). Now, I caveat this by noting that all but one of my designs used indirectly heated cathodes- filament tubes might be a different story.

I always thought it was the output tube but I never stuck my ear to the tubes on my old fender super amp but I alway's thought it was cool when I turned the volume down and here the tubes sing.

Little did I know I was only a teenager.

Thanks Nick

I just noticed in the amp I built last month, and even in my pre-amp, when hooked up to it, if you turn the gain completely down on both, so that theoretically there should be no sound, I hear a faint tinny version of the music when I'm testing them with a transistor radio plugged into the input jack. As a matter of fact, this secondary throughput seems to be independent of the amplification, and I can hear it in the background as I turn the gain up on both, and it stays the same faint volume level.
Is this what you are talking about, and if not, what is this symptom called?

frank754 said:
I just noticed in the amp I built last month, and even in my pre-amp, when hooked up to it, if you turn the gain completely down on both, so that theoretically there should be no sound, I hear a faint tinny version of the music when I'm testing them with a transistor radio plugged into the input jack. As a matter of fact, this secondary throughput seems to be independent of the amplification, and I can hear it in the background as I turn the gain up on both, and it stays the same faint volume level.
Is this what you are talking about, and if not, what is this symptom called?

Cables?

I'm just using a hodgepodge of cheap RCA-jack-ended cables that came from earlier stereos from the 70's, not shielded, plus often cheap Radio Shack converter plugs that go from 1/4" mono to gender changers, etc. and I test this out on the living room foor on the rug, once they make it out of my workroom upstairs. Once I get my ideal rig components built they will be permanent on my stereo shelf area, and the solid state stuff will bite the dust. So you could be right, bad cabling.

Brian Beck said:
If you've ever hooked a big solid-state amp up to a dummy load and played music through it, you can sometimes hear a very faint signal coming from the output transistors, especially the older ones. Probably piezoelectric forces in the silicon dice.

I heard that. Though 12L6 trioded driving output transistors don't sing. I like 12L6 tubes, they are as if especially designed to drive power transistors: very clean sound and no microphonics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.