• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cathodyne phase splitter with CCS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cathodyne phase splitter with CCS?

A request this one.

Currently scheming out a P-P amp having ignored this topology so far...

I plan to use a cathodyne phase splitter direct coupled to the input triode a-la williamson I think. Ok there's nothing odd there.

I'm intending to baby it a little by using CF's to drive the (potentially paralleled) output tubes, so at the moment I'm not tremendously worried about odd loads upsetting balance.

What I am concerned about is distortion, fave method for knocking that on the head is with a constant current source or sink.

and finally I get to my point - HOW?

Is this even possible? The CCS would be semiconductor based, to keep V+ sensible, But adding them above or below the tube - the increased resistance (Ra or Rk whichever) would appear to mess up the balance.

presumably I cant add one on both sides of the tube (can I?)

I really can't get my head around this .My usual trick of trawling the internet to find out whats been done before has so far come up blank. Perhaps its just a dumb question

Any links or information would be really appreciated

Thanks

Andy

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
No genuine question is dumb (although some answers are:D ) I think in this case a CCS cannot help. Balance is the key requirement and a CCS at either end (or both ends) of the concertina would knock balance out of the park.

Distortion is also important but I think the answer to that is probably to use a medium mu triode at fairly high current, for optimum linearity. Use a high B+ rail, so that there is a decent plate-to-cathode voltage. Loading the splitter with cathode followers doesn't hurt. You might be interested in this rather complicated solution in
De Palma's article.

Seems to me if you put a CCS on the plate, and assuming the grid current is negligable, the current through the cathode resistor will be constant, so adding another CCS there would be redundant, and like Sy said, you'd have to have them pretty well matched or you're going to violate Kirchhoff's "Seventh and a Half Law of Current Sources"*

I'm not sure off the top of my head what a CCS would do to the balance, you could always try simulating it. I think I'd go with the old tried and true resistor approach though.. if you can't find any examples of using a CCS here there's probably a good reaon.

*"The rotational velocity of Gustav Kirchhoff in his grave is directly proportional to the difference between any two constant current sources in series."

In one of my more blonde moments I tried puting a CCS in the cathode and another CCS in the plate of a triode amplifier circuit. The result..... It is called a bistable multivibrator in the digital world. The plate voltage would rail to B+ or near zero, no place in between. One CCS will win. Even with a 10 turn pot to finely adjust the CCS current, it wouldn't work.

Even if you could get the circuit stable, the split load relies on equal load impedances. The CCS is a very high impedance. Now the circuit balance is dependent on stray capacitance and the grid impedance of the following stage. Here resistors are your friend. They swamp out all of that high impedance imbalance stuff.

Yes, current sources dueling in series is like voltage sources dueling in parallel. One always “wins”. Kirchhoff and Thevenin roll in their graves.

In one of MY blonder moments, I thought I could balance plate and cathode CCSs with a feedback servo to keep the whole thing from going astable. Then it occurred to me that the feedback made the “CCS” no long a current source. Doh! Resistors to the rescue...

If you want a CCS to help give you perfect balance, you'll probably need to change the topology and include it in a common-mode feedback loop.

Imbalance in this circuit was 20mV P-P with a 60V P-P output. Tube sections weren't even matched.

Attachments

• phase_splitter_with_common-mode_fb.gif
    phase_splitter_with_common-mode_fb.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 595
Wow,

Sorry to dissapear like that, DiyAudio was suddenly unreachable from what passes for the internet here (China) - it happens.

A big thanks to you all for the help, I suppose if its never been done before theres a good reason...

OK So CCS's are not a great idea here and I actually *think* I can see why... this is above and beyond the extra complexity they entail.

So to phrase it another way. I think I'm looking for a method of providing a high AC resistance while still getting power to the tube. That should keep it stable at DC but allow the advantages of a big plate load.

So as an alternative, what's wrong with using a couple of chokes instead of (or to supplement) a resistor pair? OK. theres all the problems associated with choke loading and so on, You need a big (expensive) choke too, but could it work? Would it be beneficial?

On the other hand it is difficult to see how to 'beat' a couple of matched resistors. particularly for what might be very little improvement. :scratch:

Thanks again

Andy

Attachments

• choke loading.gif
    choke loading.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 465
Chokes would have to match perfectly at all frequencies in the desired pass band or unbalance would result.

You have pretty much answered your own question..

wry smiley needed... resistors are a heck of a lot cheaper too.

thanks again I think I'll go work through this (again) reasonably happy that I'm not missing the next bg thing..

Geek said:
If you want a CCS to help give you perfect balance, you'll probably need to change the topology and include it in a common-mode feedback loop.

Imbalance in this circuit was 20mV P-P with a 60V P-P output. Tube sections weren't even matched.

Although I have theological misgivings about this differential topology (the inverting part gong through a second triode) The 20mv mismatch is not to be sniffed at. Would you care to explain how the the CMFB loop is working? Or point to where I might look for some more info.

Cheers

Andy

Now that you guys are talking about 'conflicting' CCS's, I have a question regarding a schematic by Morgan Jones (fig. 2.49 in the third edition) It is basically, for those who do not have the book, a double triode in LTP configuration, with a CCS on the tail and two CCS on top, one for each triode, the idea being that they achieve a high plate resistance, with just a small voltage drop from the B+.

My question is...won't the two CCS on top conflict with the CCS on the tail? I mean, the current thorugh both CCS at the top should be equal equal equal to the current drawn at the tail (Kirchhoff's law), and adjusting this, as many commented here, is almost impossible to accomplish. What am I missing?

Thanks all

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.