• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6P15P Tubes: Push Pull Possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wavebourn,

From my calculations for 30ma at 300 volts I would have a bias point of -4 volts. I'm planning to use an interstage transformer that has a slight step up of 12% So I would need to have a 3.5 volt input to get close to the 4 volts needed to drive the tubes. I have a pair of 25 watt pentode output transformers. They are from a Sansui amp and were made by Tango.

If I run four tubes in push pull parallel that should give me about 24 watts. I was thinking of not applying any voltage to the 2nd grid. And since four tubes in PPP will give me an output impedance of 4k the OPT will work for a 4ohm and an 8ohm load instead of the 8 & 16 from the original 7189 amp.

Is it true that since the interstage transformers are capable of being exposed to DC HT I won't need coupling caps? The idea of an amp without coupling caps or feedback sounds really cool. Of course I may need to add some feedback once the amp is built.

This is the first amp I've ever designed so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

g2 controls plate current, not the plate voltage, this is the nature of pentodes...

so having no voltage at g2, who knows? i have never operated tubes like that, so imho plate current will be very small, you may even need positive voltage to get plate current....

Last edited:
OK,
Obviously I've planned something stupid here. But the reason is that g2 on the 6P15P is kinda fragile to begin with. And as noted here in the earlier posts is limited to 150 volts/ 1.5 watts of dissipation. So I was suggesting not applying any voltage to it at all. Is this not possible? In an earlier post someone said to apply less than 150 volts to grid 2. This would be safer although at the expense of power. So Tony you are saying that I must apply some voltage to g2? I was not aware nor do I understand how g2 controls plate current. I want to lower output impedance to 4k to bring the load capabilities in line with modern speakers. Hence PPP. And I want about 6 watts per tube. Maybe it would be better to lower the B+ instead?

And I was also not aware that there is DC bias. I'll have to research that. Attached is a file with the schematic that includes the interstage transformers I want to use. Can anyone tell me if it is DC bias from the schematic?

Attachments

• M0010294.pdf
    89.2 KB · Views: 196
Also, if g2 controls plate current how do I figure out how much voltage to apply to g2 for a specific current flow? I was under the impression that current flow was set by cathode resistor. Obviously its back to Morgan Jones for more research on pentodes.

The reason I was suggesting not applying voltage to g2 was to bring the power down to levels the output transformers can handle < 25 watts.

Last edited:
i can not see where your problem is if you want to operate the 6P15P in ppp, this is entirely possible, although ultralinear mode is out out the equation imho......operate them in pentode mode with 150volts at G2 and you are good to go...

as far as your attached scheme goes, the only change you need to do is make a 150volt supply for g2....

the reason that the 6V6 g2 goes direct to B+ in your scheme is that it can be so connected......not so with the 6P15P

i bet that with lower g2, the 6p15p will be easier to drive because of the 150 volt grid...

you can read tube databooks downloadable from the net, they contain good information....

search here for the postings of PRR, i learned a lot from him, there are a lot other posters equally good if not even better, but PRR's postings are very easy to understand....

Also, if g2 controls plate current how do I figure out how much voltage to apply to g2 for a specific current flow? I was under the impression that current flow was set by cathode resistor. Obviously its back to Morgan Jones for more research on pentodes.

The reason I was suggesting not applying voltage to g2 was to bring the power down to levels the output transformers can handle < 25 watts.

just make yourself a good 150 volt supply for g2....

there are many ways you can do that...

Just give it a 150 Volt regulated voltage. Well since you have so many of em, give them a little more and see if they can cope. But no matter what you do, dont leave G2 or G3 disconnected.

Last edited:
g2 controls plate current, not the plate voltage, this is the nature of pentodes...

so having no voltage at g2, who knows? i have never operated tubes like that, so imho plate current will be very small, you may even need positive voltage to get plate current....

Yes, it will need positive voltage, hence "Right Handed Triode" name. I did not try 6P15P in right handed triode mode, but in left handed triode mode (g2 and g3 to anode) it is very linear.

Mu > 20, rp < 1k5

6p15p_vah24.GIF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.