• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are these tubes are the same?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I need some help for some of you tube experts!

Could someone here have a look at these 2 data sheets and tell me if the 6P1 tube is an equivalent of the EL84?

EL84

6P1

I know the 6P1 is on chinese but you can still make out the internal connections and ratings.

If they are not the same then does anyone have any idea of an equivalent tube to the 6P1 or an easy rewire to allow another tube to be used in its place?

thanks in advance,
Fran

OK, Done some research and it appears that they are NOT the same/equivalent.

To make matters worse, the 6P1 (often seen in ebay tube amps) is usually advertised as 6AQ5. The problem is that the 6P1 is 9 pin while the 6AQ5/EL90 is 7 pin! It does seem that the 6P1 is the same as a russian 6P1P.

It really doesn't help matters that sellers of the 6P1P tube on ebay almost universally advertise it as 6P1P/6AQ5/EL90!!!!

I gather that electrically they are very similar, so could anyone shed any light on this? Is there such a thing as a 9 pin to 7 pin adapter that would allow one to use the EL90?

Fran

Unfortunate, but I have seen these mixed up for years... electrically close, but physically different. But if you have an amp that uses 6P1s, they're cheap enough, likewise so are 6AQ5s. EL84s have higher gain and will require reduction of the bias voltage or cathode resistor if you rewire sockets for them. 6973, 6CZ5, 6CM6, 6061, 6BW6 will work in place of 6P1 without circuit changes, but are different 9-pin pinouts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.