Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2007, 03:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any mid priced SE transformers around?

It seems that SE transformers are either the lower end ones (Hammond 125ESE/Edcors) or those that are greater than $100 each. Does anyone know of a vendor who sell a decent one in the $50-70 range? I would think that there would be a good size market for these medium priced units.

Any vendors come to mind? If there are any from overseas, hopefully the shipping would be reasonable.
Old 19th January 2007, 03:59 AM   #2
kmtang is offline kmtang  Canada
diyAudio Member

Mid price? We are talking about US$300 range, right?

At US$100 range, I would call it lower end.

Please excuse me if I am wrong.

Johnny
Old 19th January 2007, 04:35 AM   #3
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't use anything less than Lundahl. Building a good sounding amp is a lot of work and anything cheaper than that is a waste of time and money. Sure, there are a lot of guys who say they use Hammond or Edcor and it sounds "good" to them, but I've heard those OPT's and they are pretty poor next to a James, Magnequest, or a good Japanese make.

John
Old 19th January 2007, 04:50 AM   #4
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

I've bought transformers from this guy and was very pleased. The quality was considerably better than Hammond or One Electron. I bought a pair of the 600 ohm ones for $150 shipped. Looks like there is a few different impedance values available too. The only thing is that from the time they shipped till the time they got to my house was about 4 months. If your in a rush to get them, paying extra for quicker shipping may be a good idea.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbiglawhkQQhtZ-1
Old 19th January 2007, 05:05 AM   #5
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

You didn't mention impedance or power level, but at 5K, 10 watts and <$150 pair you can't go wrong with the James 6115HS. Finding a place to buy them however might be a challenge.

http://euphoniaaudio.netfirms.com/ea...bdf346fbcd8bf3
Old 19th January 2007, 01:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have a fair stock of output transformers, to try in circuit, that I am going to settle in my own mind whether the expensive ones are any better than the 'budgets' its going to be interesting to say the least.
hammond, james and magnequest, and cheap chinese inc.

I tried both of those ebay ones, I wasn't keen on the chrome ones, but I thought the eastern audio rather good, esp for the price, they were very small tho'.

They are both finished to a very nice standard.

From my search so far in terms of weight, for a 300b tx, there seem to be around 3 types, cheap ones are 2kg or less in weight, the optimum seems to be around 3kg/6lb, and the big ones, around 10lbs plus.

Once you get over a certain size, the hifreq. starts to suffer, so its really a balance of either low freq, or hi freq, the japanese certainly seem to thing hi freq is important, and when you realise that even 3db down at 100khz actually may begin rolling off around 10khz, that's why its sometimes important, also, phase extends way down into the audible band, too.

Another problem is the low freq. there are at least 2 ways of describiing this, and most specs. give the small signal lo freq. which almost always is less than 12hz. And that's what you see on the plots.

A much more accurate one is the large signal, which they don't quote, as most small transformers attain around 40-50 hz with this, that's why they don't quote it.

I am sure there is an optimum winding configuration for each size to maximise hi freq regardless of core size, but havne't the knowledge to determine that theoretically, and I am not sure about what is tha max core size b4 hi freqs. become comprimised, I would guess around a 6lb core, as there are few big ones, but that could also be cost, then again, hammonds are around 11lb and not expensive.

if you go for biglaws on ebay, he is great, nice and reliable, and for the cash they are fine.
Old 19th January 2007, 01:17 PM   #7
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I tried both of those ebay ones, I wasn't keen on the chrome ones
Please, let me know why you didnīt like them!
I have a pair of those 3,5k transformers incoming and I donīt really donīt know what to expect in terms of performance, I took chance just because the price was right.
Iīm planning to use them in an 808 SE amp.

Quote:
The only thing is that from the time they shipped till the time they got to my house was about 4 months
Mine were posted in the end of December, feels like I shouldnīt be too eager to check my mailbox every day...
The mail tracking servive at hongkongpost.com only says "In transit".

Br

/Daniel
Old 19th January 2007, 01:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

There was nothing wrong with them, they worked ok, I just found them a bit bright sounding, not as well balanced as the eastern audio, but they do the job fine which is what they should, so for the price, nothing wrong, don't worry, you may love them.

Its a pesonal opinion.

I also didn't have them in very long at all, so they may improve with time in circuit.

just my taste in sound. ymmv.

support these guys, they are doing us a favour by making these things affordable
Old 19th January 2007, 01:28 PM   #9
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much, I was afraid that it was something seriously wrong with them. These are waaaay cheaper than Hammonds new 3,5K SE OPT, and I have some bad experiences from using hammond irons.

BTW, I just checked the mail tracking again and now it says "Processed for departure", I guess īthatīs a good thing
Old 19th January 2007, 01:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

yes hammonds are getting a bit pricy, I think the big ones, powers and outputs are generally pretty good, but I had a bad experience with a small power tx, the magnetic field was huge and infected circuitry.

And from what hammond say, don't pot the 2 range, that means they run very hot, which means they are wound to be run on maximum flux close to saturation, this means either a small core or turns, ie made cheaply.

I know people slate the hammond 162* series, I found the 1627 sounded good, do you have anything bad to say about these, or other pointers?

as I am about to buy some off a friend?

thanks

The chinese are great for the cash, nothing serioiusly wrong imo. FWIW I suspect there is a fair bit of one upmanship going on with transformers.

My top pointer for superb transformers at good prices, and again deserve support, is

sacthailand, silk

paste that into google.

I have some 300b potted outputs, that I suspect may be amongst the best in the world, and flat to 150k!! cheap too.

Has anyone tried a few out and come to a kind of ranking list? I would very much like to see opionions, I heard that one electron are thought more higly than hammond?

Hide this!Advertise here!