• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6n1p-ev operating points

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I'm a newbie here and to diy tubes. I just recently sourced a lifetime's supply of the above tube for my new amp, which I'm about ready to begin construction on. It'll be using the 6n1p-ev driving a triode stapped EL84, interstage coupled.

I've been trying to figure what the best sounding operating point for this tube may be. From what I've been able to glean off the internet, it appears this tube likes to be juiced a bit more than the 6922 types. One author I saw stated 200v @ 10ma, with a grid bias of -2v. The plate curves do look quite good there, and we're still under the max plate dissipation of 2.2 watts, but what looks good on paper doesn't necessarily mean thats where this tube will sound best.

So I would like to rely on the collective wisdom and experience of this group. If any of you have any experience with this tube, or would like to offer any theory or practical suggestions on finding the optimal operating point, please lets have it. I'm trying to soak up as much as possible, and would appreciate any help.

Cheers, Crazy Bill :confused:

Hi Bill, welcome! :)

crazy bill said:
....but what looks good on paper doesn't necessarily mean thats where this tube will sound best.

Yes! You have great wisdom already :D

I played with the 6N1P a few years back and decided it sounded best in a totem arrangement of some sort (SRPP, SEPP, White CF, MWCF, etc)

For single ended use, I found a relation where regardless of voltage (I tested between 125 and 250V), keeping plate dissipation at 1 to 1.1 watt brought out the mids best, while keeping everything else fair neutral.

My humble :2c: opinion ;)

Hello Geek,

Thanks so much for the reply. Very much appreciated.

I've got a Decware SE84CSEX that I've swapped the PSU caps out for ASC oil caps. ( HUGE sonic improvement over the stock Atoms, BTW ). I'll play with the PS to hit the 6n1p-ev in the range you suggested and listen. Which brings me to another question.

I want the new amp to come to full power w/ under 1.5 v input, which I'm figuring means I need to maximize what the driver stage will do in terms of voltage. Since I'm new at this, it appears to me to be that to do that I need to choose an operating point where the bias current is lower (of course sufficient to stay above the knees in the plate curves), and to keep the voltage higher, so the driver stage will swing enough voltage to drive the EL84's. Have I got this relationship right, or am I missing something.

As always, thanks for your help.

Cheers, Crazy Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.