• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need help with caps for my 1960 fisher

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to replace some low voltage electrolytic 25uf / 6v in my 1960 fisher receiver.
Poly-film caps are just too big to go under chassis. So I’m thinking about Dipped Tantalum caps
Would it be beneficial to do so? Better durability, sound, etc.
Or should I stay with the electrolytic
Thank you.
JH

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Black Gate NX-Hi Q bipolars are very good ones and they exist in 22 uF 6.3 V. Absolutely superb sounding caps. They need a long time to burn in though. Lifetime is very high and they are smaller than the original cap in the Fisher. Tantalum is the forbidden word in audio. ( sorry, except for resistors ).

Only please check out what their function is in the receiver. Replacing caps in the RF part of the tuner might cause the tuner to become maladjusted in some cases.

I wouldn't bother with anything expensive or fancy in a stock Fisher receiver. An Oscon, Elna Starget or decent Panasonic will be fine as a recplacement. They are very reasonably priced, reliable, compact and have long lifetimes. Jean-Paul is correct about needing to be cautious replacing caps in tuner sections.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
If there are only 2 caps ( for example ) that need to be replaced the 1 or 2 $ difference don't break the bank. Here I would have to spend about 6 $ for two BG's of that value. Why not use the best if one likes the receiver and uses it everyday ?
Elna Starget is fancy and probably expensive too. OSCON used in analog ruins sound to my knowledge.

BTW Where can you buy Starget in your country ? I only know them from ready made Japanese gear I opened. They are good but in my country no one sells them. If I want good caps it's going to be either standard or BG. No real other choice or one has to order from abroad.

jean-paul said:
If there are only 2 caps ( for example ) that need to be replaced the 1 or 2 $ difference don't break the bank. Why not use the best if one likes the receiver and uses it everyday ?
Elna Starget is fancy and expensive too. OSCON used in analog ruins sound to my knowledge.
I agree that a $ or two usually isn't significant, and if the BG's are available for that price, why not? However, whilst I like my old Fishers, they're not the highest resolution circuits I've ever used, but they are lovely to listen to, so the extra perfomance of the BGs might be lost on the circuit, and a cheaper part may have been no less satisfactory. The apparent longevity of the BGs would suit a Fisher though!
I haven't used BGs ever, but the one (apart from cost and lack of high voltage ratings) thing that puts me off them is the extended warm up period I keep hearing reports of.
BTW Where can you buy Starget in your country ? I only know them from ready made Japanese gear I opened. They are good but in my country no one sells them. If I want good caps it's going to be either standard or BG. No real other choice or one has to order from abroad.
Stargets I get from Farnell, or maybe RS. I can't reach the catalogues to check, and I order regulary from both so I don't remember which one it was last time. I pay very little for Stargets compared to importing BGs. Because the voltage was so low at 6V, I made an assumption that they would be for the PSU or some other ancillary non-signal path location as a 1960 Fisher is almost certainly tube. I agree the Oscons I used in the signal path to try were pretty dire, but are good in my shunt regs.

If I can't get it at Farnell or RS, EVERYTHING I order is from overseas. Where I live in Australia, is a looooong way from specialty parts suppliers.

Cheers!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Brett,

Thank you for the info of the Starget salespoints. Must be getting old because I don't want to buy via internet but there seems to be no other choice when one wants those parts.

The extended warm up period of BG you are speaking of is only when they are new. I leave them connected to a power supply for weeks before I use them and the problem isn't a problem anymore.

Regards,

Jean-Paul

THANK YOU

Thanks to Jean Paul and Brett
This is by far the best audio forum there is.
I think I will go with the Black Gate. I like the Fisher receiver and the amplifier ( SA –100 )
You’re right Brett, it’s lovely to listen to.
So I will pay the price for the Black Gate.
Thank you again

JH

Re: THANK YOU

JH said:
it’s lovely to listen to.
Another small piece of advice if I may. Don't be tempted to make wholesale changes to the passive components (except replace PSU caps when neccessary) or the tubes. I've heard one where all the resistors were changed to metal films (Holco, Resista) and it destroyed the whole voice of the amp. All the original resistors were re-installed and it sounded good again. The original factory tubes, esp the 12AX7s are something special, often TFKs and mine still test well after 40 years.

If you feel the need for a radical makeover, remove the OPTs, and build another amp with them, and leave it alone so it can be restored later.

I'm glad what we posted was of help. Enjoy.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.