• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

to parafeed or not to parafeed that is the question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The models on Duncan's page will be linked by either a yellow or a blue icon. The blue ones are to models meant for a version of Spice (Berkeley) incompatible with LTSpice. Most of the yellow link models work fine. You may find something useful for your driver stages.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nick
I have all of the common and some not so common tube models for LTspice, if you send me a pm as I suggested a few days ago I'll email them to you along with instructions on how to install.

You'll not find a model of the 813, that you'll have to create using paintcc version for pentodes as I have explained before.

Alternately go to my website and click the mail link on my homepage and send me an email.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nick.
There may be some parameters you can modify in say the EL34 model that would put you close to the 813. Frankly I haven't done this with pentodes, but it did work with triodes. The key is knowing the right parameters to change, and unfortunately I don't.

I would try paintcc - what you want specifically is paint_kip available here: http://www.geocities.com/dmitrynizh/tubeparams_image.htm

You might also want to join this group on yahoo groups, it's moderated though and joining takes a few days. The group orientation is towards big tubes like the 845, 211, GM70, and 813 so you might find some additional ideas here. Here's the link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GM70/

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nick,
Yeah getting paintcc to work is not trivial. You must follow the instructions on the site exactly in order for it to work. (you are actually running a script that invokes a java session, and then loads and runs paintcc) Make sure you have the latest version of sun java before attempting to run this program. Go to Sun website to get that if you need it.

You also need to capture the tube curves you are attempting to match and save them to a gif file. I specifically recommend this program to do the capture: http://www.screenprint32.com

You need to save the gif file before running paint_kip as you will call it in the script you run to start it.

This curve matcher is not at all user friendly!

There is a learning curve to all of this stuff. Just take your time and bang away at it.. ;)

can i run this on a mac????

I have ltspice on my pc but I'm really a mac user the thing is my only pc is my network server running 2003 server and the security is annoying. But win 2k won't run on it because it is a real server and the raid and hot swop won't function.

My biggest gripe is there is no spice for a mac right now:redhot:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nick,
Afaik there are no exact equivalents in mac world - you'll have to ask a mac afficionado. I would think there would be a version of spice that runs on a mac, the 3F4 models run in most versions of spice and should be compatible. Tube component shapes are another matter though and may need to be revised or replaced

Do you have one of the latest macs with Intel processor that will run windoz too? If so I'd get winxp and download the Apple bootloader a.k.a "Boot Camp" install and follow the directions Apple provides.

Or pick up a really inexpensive used dell desktop pc from these guys: http://pcexchange-net.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
I've bought from them before and can recommend them.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nick,
512MB of ram ought to be more than enough for good performance with winxp for the applications you are contemplating as long as you don't run it in parallels.. The intel mac will run winxp natively and this is a lot more efficient than running the emulator in osx (or whatever) and likely to have better compatibility/stability as well.

Good luck though..
:D

I know but I dont want to mess around with boot camp I remimber in the past messing with bootloader from the linux day's.
There a pain it is so much easier to use parallels and setup is quick and easy to.
I still also find it a little unnerving an sacralegiuos putting windows on my mac.

Nick

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nick,
I understand exactly what you are saying.. LOL I currently use both windoz and ubuntu 64 bit linux and I use grub bootloader to select between them. It was pretty trouble free on installation.

I understand though perhaps mistakenly that boot camp is pretty easy to set up and use, and ime LTspice is very resource intensive (as are all spice simulators) I doubt very much that performance would be adequate running windoz in a parallels virtual machine with spice. I could be wrong though..

Perhaps a used computer with windoz (xp pro) on it as I mentioned in an earlier post would be an easier, safer, and better performing alternative. A 1.8GHz P4 with 512MB of ram would do the job and could probably be had for around $300.

www.geocities.com/dmitrynizh/tubeparams_image.htm

Hi Nick

Regards your difficulty with paint_kit.jar

let me know about what does not work (send me the text with errors or screenshot) and I'll help. I suspect your java does not start. Aside from that, specifying the image file path as command-line argument and captuing the output should be relatively easy yet probably not very intuitive if you never before used a shell or a "command window".

Dmitry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.