peerless transfomer information - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2007, 06:58 PM   #1
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

Question peerless transfomer information

Does anyone know where to find specs on old peerless xfmr's
I'm looking for info on a 17147 & 16355.

Thanks
Nick
Old 15th January 2007, 08:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Probably send an email to Mike at Magnequest.
Old 15th January 2007, 09:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info I posted a message to him on audioassylum

Nick
Old 15th January 2007, 11:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey-Hey!!!,
The 355 is a big 8k a-a. The other is a CT choke. Judge its specifications by its application. It is driven by a plate loaded 6AU6. That will have substantial inductance to go along with its DCR. In that app, it is not good to create an eliptical load on a pentode.

What do you have in mind for such pieces?
cheers,
Douglas
Old 16th January 2007, 12:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

well I actually dont have anything in mind for it. I'm looking at a altec lansing 260a amplifier to help me get a grasp on the input impedance for a 813 because i am going to build a pp amp with that as the output tube.

I'm just looking at diffrent circuit design with that tube to help me figuare out how I want to design the drive circuit.

Nick
Old 16th January 2007, 12:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hey-Hey!!!,
Must post a correction, the output is 16k a-a according to MQ.

That said, depending on how you want to run the 813 a very different load should be used. I have worked out 3k2 a-a for a 650-700V U-L circuit. I'll be using the Citation II output for the first run. If this is not to my liking, I plan to up the a-a load to 5k.

All this assumes Class A operation and power restricted to ~80W or so. Either way, I have a similar structure for my amp. One input stage, doubling as phase splitter. Differential pentodes or perhaps a cascode. Grid choke for the 813 as well. My Altec 260 schematic shows 5k5 DCR for the grid choke. I'd bet on at least 2000 Hy, perhaps more. My small DH amp has 20k plate loads on its input stage and ~400 Hy worth of CT grid choke. I will wind the next one with more.

Finding a K-241-D might be an issue... as might the input choke good for 2kVAC input voltage.

Good luck with the project, the 813 is an interesting tube. The 813 project of mine will first take flight with the radial pentode the 4E27A as the final. There is a lot of Iron, that for sure.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 16th January 2007, 02:35 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm probably not going completely with the 260a design it's going to be pp but more of a hybrid & closer to the design from this site http://www.izzy-wizzy.com/audio/powamp813.html but it will still be a work in progress.

I know once I have the 2 amps built there will be alot of sweeping and tweeking of the amp's but I'm in for it, it will be alot of fun.

Nick
Old 16th January 2007, 09:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hey-hey!!!,
If you're going to run the as triodes, you'll be better off using real triodes. That screen grid is there for a good reason, and designs to take advantage of it can eclipse the triode. The design exercise is interesting either way, so don't get too attached to my opinion.

In its defense, the 813 has a 50W cathode, v. the 35 of the 211 and 845. I suspect the extra current capacity of the high power cathode contributes to the 813's potential.

Look at the Eimac triodes like the 152TL and 304TL. The're really neat alternatives to the off-the-rack audio triodes like the 845. I figure if the Chinese ever start building them again, it will be time to find something even more off center...
cheers,
Douglas
Old 17th January 2007, 01:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I am plannig on using it as a tetrode. I dont understand what is wrong with that schematic that makes you think otherwise?

Nick
Old 17th January 2007, 03:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nhuwar
I am plannig on using it as a tetrode. I dont understand what is wrong with that schematic that makes you think otherwise?

Nick
Hey-Hey!!!,
Because all the amp schematics listed here:
http://www.izzy-wizzy.com/audio/powamp813.html

are wiring the 813's as triodes. The PS also has no g2 voltage listed for the finals. Of course if you run U-L there is no need for a g2 supply.
cheers,
Douglas

Hide this!Advertise here!