• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6C33 driver recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I want to make a baby LAMM :D :devilr:

While my favorite driver tube- the 5842 can still drive a 300B, I think it won't have much to offer driving a 6C33, with what, 50V-60V RMS requirement?

To those of you who have built a 6C33 SE, what is your favorite driver? I've seen the Borberly and he uses a 6SN7. While I don't have anything against the 6SN7, I don't want to use it :smash:

Any other canditate? Say 6N6? 12B4?

I'd like to keep the driver simple, single stage if possible.

How much gain do I need to drive the monster with 2V input?

TIA

6C33C-B Driver...

Ive used the 5687, and 7044 types in cathode-follower mode directly to the grid of the 6C33....

Works pretty well. All according what you want the amp to do, whether the O/P tube will be cathode-bias or fixed....

Personally, Ive found Fixed bias works pretty well for both SE and PP-OTL work with the 6C33C. Ive used 6SN7 and the above tubes to good effect.....:D

For SE, drive will probably be around 90V for full O/P with fixed bias, more probably with cathode-bias....

I've built quite a few 2 stage SE amps using 6c33c

If your going with a grounded cathode 6SN7 or 6DJ8 with a CCS plate load

If your doing cathode follower 12AX7's(both triodes of one tube parallel) or a 6SL7/6SU7 with CCS plate load.

I recomend these transformers, if you don't have a source. Just pay extra for express shipping or it takes like 5 months to get them. Don't let ebay fool you, the quality is better than the hammonds or One Electrons that I have purchaced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/600OHM-SE-AUDIO...ryZ73369QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi Alastair, nice to know that you've made success with the 5687. I should try that one.

Hi Jeb, unfortunately for someone like me in the Philippines, we're not recognized by PayPal. But since the item came from Hong Kong, would you happen to know the direct source?

Somewhat OT:

Someone is selling a pair of 6C33C for P50 ($10) each. However, he doesn't know how to test and nor do I. Two questions-

1. Should I be looking for a 6C33C-B instead?
2. Any quick way of testing the tube without blowing up and amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.