Basic tube combination question. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2007, 01:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Basic tube combination question.

Read some posts here and i think is very useful for upgrading my tube knowledge. thanks for those who already answered many questions here before. and here my question is:

With EL34 as reference, is that using 12AX7 + 12AU7 gets a more detail but less punching sound off my amp?

when compare with an EL34 with 6SL7 + 6SN7 is this gives a less detial but more punching sound off it?

thanks!
Old 14th January 2007, 01:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, the 12aX7 has an amplification factor of 100 and the 12AU7 has an amplification factor of 17. The 6SL7 has an amplification factor of 70 and the 6SN7 a factor of 20.

There are difference in how these tubes sound in my opinion. I favor the sound of the octal tubes over the 9 pins listed here. Both combinations have been used for years by different companies with a great deal of success.

Both combinations will provide I believe the needed "Punch" to drive the EL34. The punch will be about the same. Personally I favor the detail of the 6SL7 and 6SN7 over the 12AX7 and 12AU7.

Mine is just one opinion and one should take into consideration the cost and availability of the tubes in todays market.
Old 15th January 2007, 02:32 AM   #3
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

If you don't have a problem with mixing octals and mini's I'd go with a 12AX7 and 6SN7. Because theres no denying a 6sn7 sounds better than a 12au7(at least in every circumstance I've come across). But go with 12AX7 over 6SL7. The 6SL7/6SU7 do sound good; however, going with a 12AX7 will give you more tuning capability to dial in the exact sound you want. Since there are so many 12AX7 manufactures and variations.
Old 16th January 2007, 03:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

woo, that's a good idea, i have to think about those tubes combination since i am too lack of this knowledge

thanks dude

Hide this!Advertise here!