• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

First time DIY tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am just now getting into the DIY audio world. I love tube guitar amps. Mesa Boogie is one of the bests. I am going to take my first DIY tube amp. This would be my first DIY period. I would like it to be able to push my Paradigm's Studio's, and maybe pull double duty as a guitar amp. I know mono would probably be better. I need help with an easy kit at first, remeber total newbie here. Price should be reasonable. Thanks

IMO, you should forget using a single amp both for HIFI and MI service. A MI amp is a controlled distortion machine. OTOH, a HIFI amp should not alter (other than strengthen) the driving signal. While many of the "building blocks" used are the same, they are put together differently for HIFI and MI purposes.

Paradigm Studio Reference Series speakers have efficiencies in the upper 80s. Approx. 35 WPC of honest tube power will mate well with the speakers.

What sort of SS equipment are you currently using? A good 1st DIY project is a preamp. If your SS gear is separates or has preamp-out/amp-in capability, a DIY tube preamp could be used to drive the SS power amplification you already own.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.