rectification - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2007, 10:53 PM   #1
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

Default rectification

Im inclined to go with diode rec's what I wanna know if there is any reason out there why I shouldn't.

I know alot of people out there say mercury vapor rec's .

What's your 2 cents
Old 14th January 2007, 12:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

More than 1 enthusiast has sworn that Hg vapor rectifiers are sonically "the greatest thing since sliced bread". I'm highly biased against Hg rectifiers because of the toxicity issue. The choice is yours.

You can get excellent results with both vacuum and SS rectification. SWEAT the details.
Old 14th January 2007, 12:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: rectification

Quote:
Originally posted by nhuwar
Im inclined to go with diode rec's what I wanna know if there is any reason out there why I shouldn't.

What's your 2 cents
The mercury vapour diodes score points for glowey bottle coolness. However, so far as properties are concerned, these are very much like silicon diodes. You'd do better going solid state since silicon diodes have a much lower forward voltage drop, don't require another heater xfmr or hole in the chassis, and aren't liable to RF oscillation.
Old 14th January 2007, 12:33 AM   #4
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

your preaching to the choir, I,ve just heard things like mec's can pass more peak current and pass it faster at that.

I'm just not going to have room to spare.
Old 14th January 2007, 03:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: rectification

Quote:
Originally posted by nhuwar

What's your 2 cents
errrr...what orher kind of AC>DC conversion did you have in mind?

I am a bit all ova the place on this subject. Hg tubes like 866 are waaay cool, and they've worked well for me. The idea of one breaking around the house is a bit unsettling. Damper diodes are even easier, and warm up slowly too. Sort of like a super cheap GZ34 that has at least 2x the PIV.

I think I will leave all the 5V, 2 and 3 A twin diode traditional rectifiers to the folks who already have a hole pinned out for them.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 14th January 2007, 03:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Top secret:

A 3B28 will drop directly into an 866 socket. It has the same (or lower) voltage drop, does not radiate RF "hash", and contains NO toxic substanes. The only drawback is the absence of the cool blue glow.

Unfortunately mention of this "secret" causes prices to rise. I used to get these for $5 to $10 each. Now they can bring $25, although I got 2 at the Orlando Hamfest last year for $10 each.
Old 14th January 2007, 05:12 AM   #7
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

"Unfortunately mention of this "secret" causes prices to rise."

It goes in waves. 10 just sold for something like $20. I'll avoid buying more for a while until your mention is forgotten.
Old 24th January 2007, 11:58 PM   #8
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Unfortunately mention of this "secret" causes prices to rise. I used to get these for $5 to $10 each. Now they can bring $25, although I got 2 at the Orlando Hamfest last year for $10 each.
You can still get new ones for less than $1 each on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LOT-OF-2000-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 25th January 2007, 12:00 AM   #9
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a group buy!
Old 28th January 2007, 09:16 PM   #10
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

If you do go SS rectification use soft recovory diodes like Hexfred's. Especially in a single ended amp, since they have no noise rejection. Cheap SS diodes produce a spike-like ripple in the power supply that seems impossible to get rid of in an un-regulated power supply.

I perfer SS in the power supply for simplicity, and to save real estate on the amp for more important things, like more output tubes Most importantly, they can produce geat results if done right.

Hide this!Advertise here!