• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido PSU questions (Bas Boards)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I am rebuilding my Aikido with Bas' boards and some thoughts came to my mind:

1-in these boards I could not spot PSU bypass caps (C5 in Broskie's boards).
Since I can fit a relatively big (10uF) MKP cap I wanted to know if it is a good idea to use it as the "C"a further R-C network (resuming a suggestion that once Thorsten gave me - 100 Omh and the highest MKP available in your drawer after the last electrolytic)

2-I have some russian 5H - 80ma (250 Ohm) chokes that I intend to use instead of R2-R3 (1k) : are there any drawbacks of this choice?

3- For space reasons I'm forced to mount the rectifier horizontally: will this shorten its life?

4-The 6x5 is specified for max 4uF first cap: am I wasting money putting a MKP cap in this position or its quality is important?

Thanks

Andrea

I dont know Bas boards.

If Im understanding you correctly and your making a CLC power supply using 5H 250R chokes, I dont think youl need an additional RC section, just stick that cap after the choke instead for a better damped filter.

6x5-C-L-elcoC+bypassC.

3- For space reasons I'm forced to mount the rectifier horizontally: will this shorten its life? The tubes mounted horizontally need to be mounted such its structure is in the same vertical plane. || not =.

Hi,
thanks for the reply.

Actually the original filter is; 6x5-4uF-1k-2x180uF and then -1k-47uf to each board

A want to make it as: 6x5-4uF-1k-single 390uF and 5H-180uF(+bypass) to each board.

The"problem" is that the last RC (or LC network) is on the PS board anc the amp board itself doesn't have any bypass cap

So, having a 10uF MKP cap that might fit (I wouldn't call it a bypass cap ;) ) I thought about adding a further, "light" RC stage with 100R- 10uF MKP, putting the 10uF on the amp board.

Is this a good idea?

Cheers

Andrea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.