Aikido PSU questions (Bas Boards) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2007, 12:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aikido PSU questions (Bas Boards)

Hi all,
I am rebuilding my Aikido with Bas' boards and some thoughts came to my mind:

1-in these boards I could not spot PSU bypass caps (C5 in Broskie's boards).
Since I can fit a relatively big (10uF) MKP cap I wanted to know if it is a good idea to use it as the "C"a further R-C network (resuming a suggestion that once Thorsten gave me - 100 Omh and the highest MKP available in your drawer after the last electrolytic)

2-I have some russian 5H - 80ma (250 Ohm) chokes that I intend to use instead of R2-R3 (1k) : are there any drawbacks of this choice?

3- For space reasons I'm forced to mount the rectifier horizontally: will this shorten its life?

4-The 6x5 is specified for max 4uF first cap: am I wasting money putting a MKP cap in this position or its quality is important?

Thanks

Andrea
Old 13th January 2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

I dont know Bas boards.

If Im understanding you correctly and your making a CLC power supply using 5H 250R chokes, I dont think youl need an additional RC section, just stick that cap after the choke instead for a better damped filter.

6x5-C-L-elcoC+bypassC.

3- For space reasons I'm forced to mount the rectifier horizontally: will this shorten its life? The tubes mounted horizontally need to be mounted such its structure is in the same vertical plane. || not =.
Old 14th January 2007, 08:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,
thanks for the reply.

Actually the original filter is; 6x5-4uF-1k-2x180uF and then -1k-47uf to each board

A want to make it as: 6x5-4uF-1k-single 390uF and 5H-180uF(+bypass) to each board.

The"problem" is that the last RC (or LC network) is on the PS board anc the amp board itself doesn't have any bypass cap

So, having a 10uF MKP cap that might fit (I wouldn't call it a bypass cap ) I thought about adding a further, "light" RC stage with 100R- 10uF MKP, putting the 10uF on the amp board.

Is this a good idea?

Cheers

Andrea

Hide this!Advertise here!